Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

HX50 modem problem (advanced)

(Read 22207 times)
newnham
★★

Jan 22nd, 2008 at 9:05pm  
I am having a problem where my HX modem reboots continously. sometimes every minute somtetimes every few minutes. It just started doing this all of a sudden.

When I login to hyper terminal on port 1953 it say this.
Time of Reset :         TUE JAN 22 21:46:22 2008 [GMT]
Asserted at   :         t=tMct /cm_data/pessd/rem2/ssu/aqm.c#1212:
Reset Type    :         Valid Software Reset
Reset Reason  :         Queue <0>

again its always the same reset info except for the time.

When I look at the hx50 main page, under download status it say this.
Parameter Problem Detected - Ignoring All parameters.

This happens even after an RD. Everything else seems to work fine.

Can anyone give me some insite???

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 10:06pm  
What is your current software version? Have you checked the reset log in the user interface?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:34am  
5.3.0.28 Fallback is the same.

Reset history shows the same thing I posted above. It resets every 1-10 minutes.

VXworks shows the same thing when I a logged into it and the system reboots.
t=tMct /cm_data/pessd/rem2/ssu/aqm.c#1212:Queue <0>
System Will Restart

THe task tMct does not show up on ym task list in VXworks.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:44am  
The NOC also disabled my transmitter. Probably because of the continueous restarts

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 12:27pm  
I suspect the modem restarts are caused by failed attempts by the NOC to update your modem software over the satellite. Last I heard, their current version was 5.6.1.17 (Bentley-Walker can confirm).

A common cause for disabled transmitters, is sequential Revalidate Isolation failures (three in a row I think). A common reason for poor isolation numbers is inaccurate antenna pointing. Can you access your user interface to report what Revalidate Isolation number may be still displayed?

Are you trying to establish a new connection? Or did this problem develop on a previously working connection?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:20pm  
The system has been working for 2 months,besides the downtime from the HUB. 94-96 QRF and 4/5 rate code. I spent hours alligning it. Ill get the other information to you in a second

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:27pm  
OK,
I cant see the stats for any of the history. But now under ACP stats it says:
Pointing Queue Full...............yes
Validate Queue Full...............yes
Revalidate Queue Full...........yes

The resof the info here is 0

My provider is WAFA, RD is the only thing they have come up with so far, and so farit has not worked.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:35pm  
That tells me then that at some point you loaded the fallback BIN. Did you use the "RF" command during one of your telnet sessions?

I personally don't telnet into my modem, I prefer the GUI. Have you ever tried it? If not, open a browser and go to https://192.168.0.1/ . That will give you access to the basic TX and RX Error codes and provide links to their definitions. When you eventually update to the current version, you may be presented with Diagnostic Codes as well. But for now, it may explain why your transmitter is disabled.

To get deeper into the GUI, go to https://192.168.0.1/fs/advanced/advanced.html (or click on the icon of the tiny little blue man). Scroll down to Logs/Reset Log. That may provide a better description of why your modem is resetting.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:44pm  
Ya I use the gui before I use port 1953. I only telnet into VXworks as a last resort.

I do have 2 logs. RPU log and an exception log.
The RPU log just shows the files that were uploaded during the RD, and the exception log shows a stack dump.

The fallback.bin has always been the same as my main.bin even after doing an RD. It loaded the fallback.bin after wafa instructed me to do an RD.

The Download status on 192.168.0.1 says that the noc has disabled the transmitter, nothing more.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:50pm  
Time of Reset :    TUE JAN 22 21:46:22 2008 [GMT]
Asserted at   :    t=tMct /cm_data/pessd/rem2/ssu/aqm.c#1212:
Reset Type    :    Valid Software Reset
Reset Reason  :    Queue <0>

is what my reset log says. Its full of these and the time is the only thing that changes

You said RF, whats the difference between RD and RF?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:24pm  
I'm not positive, but I think RF reverts the modem to whatever version is in the Fallback BIN, RD reverts it to factory default. If you've had the modem long enough for it to have received more than one version update, the last one replaced becomes the Fallback. The factory default is what was current when the modem was loaded by the manufacturer.

Sounds like there are considerably less logging employed in your RD version. My v5.6.1.19  has sixteen different logs. The reset log looks something like this:
Reset History
----------------------
Entry Number 0:
----------------------
Time of Reset : WED JAN 02 07:42:13 2008 [GMT]
Asserted at : t=tDownload /cm_data/pessd/rem2/sdl2/filecollection.cc#235: 
Reset Type : Valid Software Reset
Reset Reason : New software downloaded. (Current Image: 5.6.0.24, New Image: 5.6.1.19) 
----------------------
Entry Number 1:
----------------------
Time of Reset : TUE JAN 01 00:14:14 2008 [GMT]
Asserted at : 
Reset Type : Software Reset
Reset Reason : Reset due to Unexpected VxWorks Exception 
----------------------
Entry Number 2:
----------------------
Time of Reset : WED DEC 12 18:56:22 2007 [GMT]
Asserted at : t=tWdmCleanup /cm_data/pessd/rem2/ssu/wdm.c#422: 
Reset Reason : Software Watchdog Timer timeout in tTPClient task 
----------------------
Entry Number 3:
----------------------
Time of Reset : SUN DEC 09 12:55:44 2007 [GMT]
Asserted at : t=tRrReboot /cm_data/brighton/source/web/httprpms.c#10710: 
Reset Reason : Manual reboot via Web Interface rr command 

#3 is what happens when you intentionally initiate the reset command from the GUI
#2 may reflect a software push that didn't complete
#1 is representative of some internal glitch - maybe a power anomaly or similar
#0 is what happens when you SUCCESSFULLY receive an over-the-satellite version update
As you can see, my modem has not reset now in 21 days

About the disabled transmitter; go back to the GUI top level and click on the Transmission Info. There may be an underlined TX Error code after Transmit Status. Clicking on that goes to screen text that gives a short explanation of the Error. Clicking on the underlined Transmit Status should give you a complete list of available TX codes. Same thing applies to Reception Info

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

bentley
★★

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:47pm  
If you type in https://192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar, this will open your system status page.
You will see the figure of a "Little Blue Man" on the right hand side. Left click on this.
The main menu will load. If you scroll down the main menu you will see "Force Ranging" this will resync the modem with the satellite.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:52pm  
its tx error 1.
Here what I got so far. RD, simply goes back to your backu.bin RF does factory defaults.

RD did nothing, my modem would stll reset over and over. RF worked. My modem stopped restarting. I rentered the confguration, and it started downloading files. After it's initial reboot, it started rebooting over and over.

My log says the same thing over and over because it reboots constantly, its been rebooting an average of once every 5 minutes for 2 days now. SO there is nothing else for my reset log to display.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:01pm  
Force ranging is definatley not the problem, though I did try it. I have setup hundreds of systems, so I am pretty knowledgable on how they work. This problem though is a new one even for me. I am trying to figure out why the Queue would be the reset reason, and why the task that resets the modem is not listed in the process list of VXworks (VXworks is the actual operation system of the modem, not the sattelite confuration pages. It is alot like linux or does, but its commands are different.)

IP Logged

bentley
★★

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:06pm  
TX code 1 means the transmitter is not connected to the receiver.
This state should not persist  for more than 10 seconds.
The cause may be a bad cable connection.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #15 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:06pm  
I'm posting from America, which limits my ability to assist. The way I understand how it works over there, is that Bentley-Walker runs the NOC, and wafa is the equivalent of a VAR. So since Bentley has joined the thread, I'll defer to their site-specific advice. If they can get your transmitter back on the air, they then have the capability to measure your transmitter isolation over the satellite.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

bentley
★★

Reply #16 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm  
When you did the RD did you disconnect the TX and RX cables from the modem? This is vital as the modem will configure certain parameters itself on contact with the satellite. Always power down before attaching or detaching cables.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #17 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm  
I am sorry I am sloow to post. I should have said it was 1. It went back to normal after I did the RF and re entered my configuration. I apoligize for not adding that.

It started rebooting after the configuration downloaded.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm  
Quote:
TX code 1 means the transmitter is not connected to the receiver.
This state should not persist  for more than 10 seconds.
The cause may be a bad cable connection.
Hate to interfere so soon, but that's not quite accurate. Perhaps you're thinking of the TX3. Here's a copy & paste from my TX/RX Error code list: TX1
The transmitter has been disabled by the Network Operations Center
This condition occurs when the transmitter is not enabled. A transmitter may be disabled for short periods of time by the NOC for service troubleshooting. It may also be disabled if the user discontinues the satellite service. A persistence of this condition can only be corrected by requesting that the unit be enabled.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

bentley
★★

Reply #19 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:17pm  
Only if you see TX Code 1 ITUST_DISABLED

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #20 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:18pm  
Quote:
When you did the RD did you disconnect the TX and RX cables from the modem? This is vital as the modem will configure certain parameters itself on contact with the satellite. Always power down before attaching or detaching cables.

Yes sir I always do.
Also If you guys are the NOC can I contact you for support. The guys at WAFA are decent enough, but they have to talk to you anyway to solve any problem I will have. Anything they can do for me I can do for myself. I have asked them for contact info to the NOC, but they did not respond.

UGGGH this 300 second rule is killing me!!

From forum admin:  I've just adjusted down to 60 sec.  Its purpose is to discourage spammers.  Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:52pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #21 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:19pm  
Quote:
Only if you see TX Code 1 ITUST_DISABLED
OK, it's your show now. Perhaps my v5.6.1.19 differs slightly

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #22 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:28pm  
Now my transmit status is:
Parameter problem detected, Ignoring all Parameters.

This is right after it downloaded all files and loaded the MM, it shouldn't be like this.

IP Logged

newnham
★★

Reply #23 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:07pm  
Anyone got any other ideas?

IP Logged

bentley
★★

Reply #24 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 4:47pm  
To obtain a Login ID for the Bentley Walker Online Ticket System, please contact us on 0044 (0)2392 311118

IP Logged

Pages: 1