Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect from TS2 for use in Iraq

(Read 23333 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 22nd, 2008 at 4:23pm  
Ok, so i bought a complete system from ts2 out of poland.  They suck.  They have no type of understanding that I paid them 4k, which included the first month of service while deployed in IRAQ, and now, 7 weeks later, I still don't have internet.  They kept telling me over and over i needed patience as it was my fault of aiming.  Ha, not even close, they sent me a faulty modem, and now want me to wait until monday so they can have a 4 day weekend.  I am not sure if People in POLAND have a different understanding of what CUSTOMER SERVICE is, but im away from my family for the 3rd time and just wanted internet so i could talk to my wife and kids.  So, if anyone can help me, please help, if not, spread the word not to use TS2.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2008 at 8:47am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - May 24th, 2008 at 8:15am  
I am located in Southern Baghdad on FOB Falcon.  The modem i have is the Idirect 3000.  I have the andrews 1.2 dish.  Ofcourse, freinds of mine ordered the same stuff, from the same company and their equipment came nicely packaged, they got manuals and instructions.  I maybe over reacting, but i just want to talk to my family.  I looked for an american company, but couldnt find one that shipped overseas or didnt have a download cap.  Thank you for writing, i am anxiously awaiting your response.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2008 at 9:03am  
You say your friends received manuals and instructions.

You need to know your location lat and long, what satellite to point at, what receive nominal polarisation to use and to have a configuration file to prepare your modem to receive the wanted carrier.

Some general advice on set up follows...

Ask your service provider if your nominal receive polarisation should be vertical or horizontal.
Determine your dish pointing angles, azimuth, elevation and polarisation using
satellite dish pointing in Iraq

Join the LNB to the sidearm filter waveguide so that the two rectangular apertures match.

Setting the polarisation is a two step process:

What receive downlink polarisation name have you been told to use?. Horizontal or vertical.  Set this polarisation name initially, by turning the entire feed/LNB/BUC assembly in its yoke, using these diagrams as a guide:
====================================================================
If Vertical, the LNB input waveguide will be like the image above. The internal dipole pin may be above or below; it does not matter.
If Horizontal, the LNB input waveguide will be like the image above. The internal dipole pin may be on either side; it does not matter.
Then apply the polarisation adjustment angle. A positive polarisation adjustment means turn the feed clockwise while facing towards the satellite.  A negative polarisation adjustment means turn the feed anti-clockwise while facing towards the satellite.  In some cases the entire dish and feed assembly needs to be rotated using a giant polarisation scale behind the dish (HX and Tooway)

Set the elevation angle:
Use the elevation angle scale if there is one.  Note the scale will be in error by a few deg low if the head unit is loose on the pole and is sagging down a bit.  If no elevation scale, find out the offset angle of the dish.  Set the front face vertical, the beam elevation angle is now the same as the offset angle.  Adjust further as required for the wanted elevation angle.   If you don't have an inclinometer then here is how to make an inclinometer.  If you can't find the offset angle put a thin strip of wood under the lower edge of the dish, beside the feed arm. Put the forward end of the strip across the top of the feed horn window.  The slope of the wood is the approximate beam elevation angle.

Azimuth:
Use a compass, GPS or the sun, stars, time of day and common sense to get the approx azimuth angle.  With the LNB cable connected, swing the dish boldly and find the satellite.  If nothing, change the elevation in 1 deg steps.

Peaking up:
Having found the satellite spend at least 30 minutes peaking up.  You need to get to the exact centre of the beam as the transmit beam is narrower than the receive beams.  If you spend less than 30 minutes, you have not done the job sufficiently precisely.

Clever tricks:

With the azimuth nuts spaced slightly apart, gently swing the dish to rest against each nut in turn and adjust the nuts so exactly the same degraded quality is observed at each side.  Then wind each nut in by an equal number of turns and flats (e.g. each by 1 turn and 4 flats).   If the azimuth adjuster is a continuous screw you need to count the turns going one way and see where is the peak.  Then go right back to the start and wind forwards again and stop at the peak to avoid backlash.  Mark a flat with a felt tip pen.

Having centered the azimuth, make sure all hold down bolts are tight.  The elevation is easier as there is no backlash. Wind the elevation screw right across the satellite and then count the turns back to the centre.

Polarisation:  Be prepared to adjust a few deg under verbal instruction from the hub while they measure your CW transmit cross-pol signal.  Keep your head and body underneath and reach up to make this adjustment, so as not to obstruct the beam. Be patient, it may take the hub 20 seconds to take each measurement.

Power off and connect up the transmit cable.

I know little about iDirect but I do know that it is important that you tell the modem, via iSite, what is your latitude and longitude to set the range and timing so that your transmit bursts arrive at the satellite at the correct moment, interleaved with other uplink bursts.

Go here for TS2 web site

Best regards, Eric.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 2:54pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2008 at 8:58pm  
I have several things i want to address:

1.  I fight for our freedom, and still cant freely say a company's customer service SUCKS.  Well it really does.  I paid 4k for a system 2 months ago and still dont have it working.

2.  I know how to set up a satellitte, im one of 4 in the Brigade who have been offered a civilian job teaching people how to set the army one up for 134k a year.

3.  I dont need a company who tells me they are going on a 4 day weekend, want me to send them my modem before they send me another, son another 10 day wait, and why wont even give me a refund now of what i paid for the service, they want to do it in one transaction, and are going to take money off what i paid because they cant sell it at full price now.

4.  They suck and i am very anxious to find a company who is willing to work out a deal so that i dont have to pay 3 months up front until i get my refund from them.

5.  maybe youve never been in a combat zone away from your family for the 3 rd time in 5 years, even though my obligation is already up... wonderful stop loss.

6.  Maybe before you give me a list of steps, you should ask how much i know, i went through all that crap over and over and over again, and TS2 kept saying i have to be patient... yeah patience and customer service is something i didnt get.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2008 at 11:24am  
Dear Mr Andrew,

We have offered to exchange your as you claim "faulty" modem, also I wrote that I can send you a new BUC and new LNB if you sucpect they may be faulty.

However all you did is send us emails that you want refund, and new modem. I wrote that I will send you a new modem the same day I will receive the scan from the post office that you sent your used modem. 
You didn't want to cooperate. Your modem cannot be faulty as you were reveiving was it over 8 Volts signal?

We gave you two different OPT file for two different satellites, you are our only client who couldn't get proper signal for such a long time.

As to the 7 days weekend we have a national celebration in Poland on Thursday therefore our boss gave us Friday off as well. 

I hope you can read Mr Eric Johnston's post as it explains very well dish poiting process (polarity, elevation, etc).

Best Regards,

Michał (TS2)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2008 at 4:55pm  
Actually he is not the only client that has purchased a system from you all that is having problems.  It took your company a very long time to mail the system off from your warehouse in the UAE, and you gave me various excusses as to why your warehouse did not send the equipment to me. Then when I asked for a refund, it was all of a sudden already shipped, a day after I was told it had not been and after countless e-mails to your company as to when it was going to be shipped.  Then upon arrival the portion that mounts to the back of the dish and the stand does not have any way to make minor side to side adjustments, which is retarded, as every other dish I have seen on my camp seems to have.  So this dish has been on the roof of my building for just about 1 month, and not functioning, with me taking the time out from doing my job to keep military members alive, trying to get this STUPID dish alligned to a satellite with no way to make minor adjustments.  Like I really have lots of extra time on my hands to do this.  This is by far the worst decision I have made in my military career to make things more bareable out here for my Marines so they can communicate with there family members. 

Your company was NEVER given me prompt e-mail responses, Your customer service people in the UAE are WORTHLESS with the exception of one person there, which actually took extra time to help me, with this problem and he could speak english so that I could fully and totally understand him.

What really sucks about the customer service is there is NOTOLL FREE number, in which there should be considering all the money that people spend on buying this system, so I ended up spending almost $100.00 to talk to the ONE person that seemed fully capable to offer assistance to me,  were as the rest could only say "YOU HAVE TO KEEP TRYING"  to me that kind of customer service is totally WORTHLESS. 

TIME is something that military members in a COMBAT ZONE do not have.  While you and your company members sit in your homes and see your families every day, we do not, that is why we purchase systems that will allow us to do that, it would be nice if you could understand and comprehend that instead of only seening how much money you and your company can make from the misfortune of others. 

Maybe this is to strong off a post, but you know what this is my personal frustration as well as all the Marines that provided money so they could have this small pleasure considering there sacrifice, duty and dedication.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 10:06pm  
I'm also having problems with my TS2 iDirect 3100, 1.2m system.  I'm located in Balad, Iraq.  I was unable to lock the carrier signal of Intelsat901.  The maximum reading that I achieved was 7volts.  I had three Air Force satellite experts inspect the setup.  They confirmed with a specan that it was pointed at the correct spacecraft.  They made adjustments, but were unable to achieve more than 7volts also. 

This marks week two that the dish has been sitting atop the building.  I'm waiting on a new OPT file from TS2 to attempt to connect with Intelsat 10-02 instead.  I'll provide an update as soon as this happens.

Ending on a positive note; the equipment arrived from UAE within two days of payment.  Up to this point, replies from TS2 have not taken longer than 24-hours.

IP Logged

gargos
★★

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:37am  
i bought the linkstar from ts2 im suppose to be pointing at the nss 6 sat i have had the same problem im about ready to ask for a refund and see about another company Im not sure but I think that me and my soldiers have made a mistake with ts2 Im gonna give them the benifite of the doubt here and see if they will assist me better if not Ill switch ISP

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:00pm  
Dear Mr Gargos,

Please let me know what kind or troubles you have with your LinkStar or kindly let me know your Mac address.

We'll try to help you as best we can.

Regards,

Michał
TS2

IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 5:05pm  
I am in the same boat.. i also recently purchased a Idirect 3100 modem, and complete setup from ts2.  I'm having trouble connecting to intelsat 901 all i can get is 7 volts, I've tried raising it to a higher spot and adjustin all , and even had a professinal here on our FOB come and check everything, still couldn't get more then 7 volts. I've used multiple Sat-Finders and still no luck.... Plz help... have called the compnay and all they say is it's the aiming and they say keep trying.... We want to keep the same ISP but we need the system to work too... PLZ HELP

YIM  
IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 6:12pm  
I am tempted to suggest 'continue trying'.  Try with the opposite polarisation and try several satellites along the orbit each way.  If that does not work I would go back to basics and start checking that all the instructions are correct.

If you are detecting 7 volts you are measuring strong radio power but the signal is not locking in your demodulator.   You have found a satellite and will able to peak up on other satelites also, either way along a diagonal line across the sky.   If you are on the correct satellite and still have 7 volts, then you have the wrong polarisation, wrong LNB or your modem is tuned wrong.  I think the volts will jump to 12+ and go green once the modem demod locks up.

We may be able to help you better if you tell us exactly what you have been told by TS2.  We need to know:

What satellite name and orbit position:
What downlink polarisation name:
What satellite downlink carrier frequency:
What type and model number LNB:

What L band modem tuning frequency in the options file:
What symbol rate in the options file:  (only for 8.2.2 or later versions)

What is your location:

From the above it is possible:

to work out if the LO frequency of your LNB (e.g. 9.75, 10, 10.6, 11.3 GHz etc) is actually correct for your wanted satellite frequency and the tuning range of your modem. (e.g. 12345 MHz satellite, minus LNB LO 11300 MHz = 1045 MHz into modem)

To work out your dish pointing: azimuth (sideways, with magnetic compass) and elevation (up /down) and also the polarisation adjustment required.
see: satellite dish pointing iraq.

Setting polarisation is two step process. First set to nominal, e.g. Horizonal normally means the LNB on its filter arm is sticking up at the top so that the broad faces of the LNB rectangular waveguide are to either side. This is a nominal horizontal starting position.  Second stage: Now apply the adjustment.  Clockwise, while facing the satellite, is + positive.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:25pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 6:53pm  
eric allow me to try ur suggestions and get u the info and maybe u can help us... thank you

YIM  
IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:27pm  
eric thnx for the tips we got the good signal 17 volts.. we beeped it up and stuff but was woundering exactly how to really fine tune it up and try to get the best signal as possiable and really get a good connection..  could u explain if u know on if the voltage at 17 is a decent connection for a 15 man service?????  any other info u can offer will be greatly appreciated..........    lets face it we're in iraq and it sux bad enough so any better we can get by havin decent speed internet is a good thing......lol

YIM  
IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:26am  
I am pleased you have succeeded.  What was wrong ?  If you send a photo of your dish in the final working configuration, this may help the other person having probems with iDirect TS2 access.  Send to me eric@satsig.net

Regarding the 17 volts; what is important is that 17 volts is the actual peak value.  This means your narrower transmit beam is also pointed accurately at the satellite.

Having 17 volts, rather than 15 volts, means that you have extra rain margin, which means that during rain storms your service will suffer less outage.  A site with 15 volts may fail during moderate rain.  A site with 17 volts will fail only during severe rain.  It won't make any difference to the service during clear sky conditions.

Regarding suitability for 15 end users, this will depend on the tariff you pay.   Service providers offer a variety of peak bit rates and number of Mbytes transferred.  The lowest cost tariffs (e.g. $180 per month) are suitable for say 2 end user PCs.  The highest  cost tariffs are suitable for many more PCs.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 7:56pm  
Well on the note i sent last night now with the downstream locked and the service active, we seem to still have a problem..  I'm getting a flashing yellow light on the network, and according to the book it means the the downstream SCPC is not locked... does anyone know what the SCPC is, and also how to fix it??????   Plz help once agian
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:27pm by Admin1 »  
YIM  
IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:38am  
You have a receive problem.  I think SCPC refers to the big outlink carrier from the hub to all the remote sites.

Check that the dish has not moved.   Having found the correct satellite it will typically take at least 30 minutes gradual tightening and adjusting to reach the final setting.   It needs to be "rock solid" after alignment and tightening so that pushing or pulling by hand has no effect on the signal.

The F connectors on the LNB cable are also a likely cause of partial or complete receive failure.  The outer coax braid must make good contact with the sleeve.  the centre pin should be long enough to be 1.5mm proud of the rim so that it makes good contact inside the socket.  When screwing in, make sure the pin really does go into the socket and not "push back" the cable.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 12:18pm  
Quote:
Well on the note i sent last night now with the downstream loclked and the service active, we seem to still have a problem..  I'm gettin a flashin yellow light on the network, and according to the boock it mean the the downstream SCPC is not locked... does anyone know what the SCPC is, and also how to fix it ?   Plz help once agian

Is the Tx light illuminated on the front of your modem?  Or does it blink on briefly from amber to green?  

It sounds as if you pointed at the spacecraft and receiving SOME signal, but it may not be optimal enough to unmute the transmitter.  Need to know about that TX LED?  If your signal strength (rx snr) is lower than 5.5dN (C/N) then your transmitter WILL remain muted.  

On the flipside: If your receive signal (SNR) is GREATER than 5.5 AND the Tx LED is illuminated (network light is amber) then one of two things is possibly wrong:

1. the Hub has your initial tx entry power too low or two high (and your bursts are arriving too low or too high on the configured network UCP-uplink control parameters)
2.  There is something amiss in your tx/uplink cabling. (let not make this assessment YET until we find out a few things first).

Can you telnet into that modem and check the rx snr for me?  If you have a receive light we need to know just how well you are seeing that TDM downstream carrier (your receive carrier)?  If you are able to telnet into the 3100, type rx snr at the prompt and share that value with me.  

Also, need to know what that Tx LED on the front of your modem is doing?  Is it solid green or blinking green to amber?
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:27pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

chinook404
★★

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:23pm  
well we've fixed all the prob's thus far..... we are connected to the network, and it reads network connection good...  But!!!!!  now connected I can not connect to the web..... either IE says cannot display web page, or dns server not found....  i've tried this on multiple computers so i am to have a good assumption it is not my computer...  On the Isite software it shows it receiving ICMP, and transmitting UDP... but the HTTP line is flatlined at 0.. Is it something on my end or is it the satellite ?    I can log in to the modem and all is ok green across the board but am lost after that.. Is their something that i might have wrong... We're using a Dlink 16 slot switch along with the Idirect 3100 Router/modem...  anyone plz help getting desperate for a solution....
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:29pm by Admin1 »  
YIM  
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:01am  
Hate to say it (as it sounds like the usual party line), but you are going to have to contact your service provider, they should be able to help you with your DNS issue.

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:18pm  
i am having the same problem as chinook.  i have the same system (3100 modem andrews 1.2m dish) and am supposed to be pointing toward 18w intelsat 901.   i have a 17degree offset dish, the same as the one he has.  ts2 already had the modem loaded with the options and everything i needed, and i got one from the saudi provider and redid it just to make sure.  i was able to get over 7 during an azimuth sweep but it was nowhere near the azimuth and elevation that ts2 gave me.  the strongest i get on my -3 degrees (factoring the 17 degree offset) is around 4.5 - 5.  i've been at it for 2 days straight.  i have used the satellite pointing in iraq helper, and have set everything correctly...but shouldn't i get a huge voltage spike SOMEWHERE during my azimuth sweeps?  i am not sure what else i can do

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:53pm  
Assuming dish offset=17 deg and required beam elevation 14.3 deg.  Assume dish has vertical diameter of 130 cm.

For 14 deg beam elevation angle the front top face of the dish will be tilted 2.7 deg forwards.  Dangle a weight on a string down the front of the dish and the gap at the bottom should be 130 x sin(3) = 6.1cm.

What nominal (name) polarisation have you been told ? Horizontal or Vertical ?  Did you set this starting position correctly? Horizonal means LNB at the top or bottom, Vertical means LNB sticking out sideways.  

What polarisation adjustment angle have you applied ? +53.1 deg (for example) means turn the feed +53.1 deg clockwise while you are facing towards the satellite. This angle must be accurate, so use an inclinometer sideways across the BUC or LNB.

Your LNB model type must be correct so that the calculation: satellite freq - LNB LO freq = modem freq.  e.g. 11280.123000 - 10000 = 1280.123000 MHz is correct. LNBs come in variety local oscillator frequencies: e.g 9750, 10000, 10600, 11300 MHz.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:39pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:43pm  
here is the information i got:

Latitude: 33.6660°
Longitude: 44.3896°

Name: 18.0W Intelsat 901
Distance: 40138km

Motor Latitude:  33.7°
Declination Angle:  5.5°
Elevation:  14.3°
Azimuth (true):  253.8°
Azimuth (magn.):  249.6°
LNB Skew [?]:  53.1°

i have screenshots of everything in isite if you want me to send them somewhere.  i am very new to this and i figured i should get some kind of signal when sweeping azimuth with the correct elevation...

thanks a lot
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2009 at 11:00am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:41pm  
I have amended the beam elevation to 14.3 deg and polarisation adjustment to +53.1 deg above. Spacing at lower edge between string and dish now about 6.1cm.

What nominal (name) polarisation have you been told ? Horizontal or Vertical ?  Did you set this starting position correctly? Horizonal means LNB at the top or bottom, Vertical means LNB sticking out sideways.  

What polarisation adjustment angle have you applied ? +53.1 deg (for example) means turn the feed +53.1 deg clockwise while you are facing towards the satellite. This angle must be accurate, so use an inclinometer sideways across the BUC or LNB.

Your LNB model type must be correct so that the calculation: satellite freq - LNB LO freq = modem freq.  e.g. 11280.123000 - 10000 = 1280.123000 MHz is correct. LNBs come in variety local oscillator frequencies: e.g 9750, 10000, 10600, 11300 MHz.

What did your options file say about rx frequency (rx_freq =) ? or LNB LO frequency (down_translation =) ?  What is your LNB make/model number?.

Please put your head behind the dish and view from just under the lower rim to just over the top of the feed horn. Do you have a view of the sky ?

I've just had a look at the frequency plan for IS901 Ku band Spot 2 here https://www.sincompromisos.com/Documentos/Satelites/Spacecraft%20Performance%20a...
It says that the satellite transmits on Horizontal polarisation.  Is that what you have been told to receive ?

That document above (1.7 Mbytes) is a good summary of Intelsat satellite frequency plans and well worth downloading.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:45pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 6:57pm  

from the opt file:
rx_freq = 1556924999
down_translation = 10000.000000

from the email from ts2:
INTELSAT 901 18 West

CENTER FREQUENCY: 11557.25 MHz
SYMBOL RATE : 5115
FEC 7/8
RECEIVE POLARITY : Horizontal -52
L-BAND RECEIVING FREQUENCY 1557.25 (IF LO : 10GHz)

from the activation form:
BUC part no.  NJT
LNC part no.  NJR

let me know if you need any other information.
thanks again!

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:41pm  
It would be useful to check the model number of the LNB "LNC part no.  NJR" to check that you have a 10 GHz device as you are supposed to have.

10 GHz NJR2784 NJR2184   wanted
10.75 GHz NJR2744 NJR2144 not suitable
11.3 GHz NJR2754 NJR2154  not  suitable

You are trying to receive Horizontal named polarisation

so..

Did you set the polarisation starting position correctly? Horizonal means LNB at the top or bottom, Vertical means LNB sticking out sideways.    

What polarisation adjustment angle have you then applied ? +53.1 deg (for example) means turn the feed +53.1 deg clockwise while you are facing towards the satellite.  This angle must be accurate, so use an inclinometer sideways across the BUC or LNB.  

Just to check that you can see the satellite from your dish location...  Please put your head behind the dish and view from just under the lower rim to just over the top of the feed horn. Do you have a view of the sky ?

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 8:00pm  
sorry about that...
it's NJR2784
and yes i have a clear view of the sky when looking from under the dish to the top of the feed horn.

i have the polarization set to 52...and i double checked with a picture that the tech support guy in dubai sent me.  how close does it need to be to perfect to pick up the signal?

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 9:40pm  
Eric,

I have double and triple checked all of the settings for azimuth, elevation, and polarity based on what you gave me and what was given to me by the company.  I am not really sure what else to do.  When on that elevation the best I could get on azimuth was .6.  If you need anything else from me please let me know and thanks for all of the help

Alan

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #27 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 11:27pm  
Alan

I'm almost out of ideas also !

You are welcome to forward that picture to me eric@satsig.net   If you have set the polarisation to 52 using a scale on the feed throat be aware that some scales are backwards or with 0 and 90 and + and - in various places.  +52 means turn the feed clockwise by an amount of 52 deg, while facing towards the satellite and starting with the LNB at the top or bottom starting position (for nominal Horizontal polarisation).

If you are approx 90 deg wrong with the polarisation that would make no signal at all.  The polarisation setting accuracy should be +/- 1 deg when finally set.  
For just finding the satellite, in your case a large initial error or 5 deg would make no detectable difference as there is negligible interfering signal at the moment on the opposite polarisation.  Even with 45 deg error you might still get lock (signal -3 dB low).  But as you approach exactly 90 deg error you will suddenly get no wanted signal at all (-30 dB).  Just do the best you can; use the throat scale to count the amount of degrees (ignoring any numbers or + / - signs) or use an inclinometer sideways across the BUC body.

There is a discrepancy between your options file and the email you have been sent. The options file shows the modem tuning to be 1156924999 Hz.  The email implies 11557.25 - 10000 = 1557.25 MHz.   The modem frequency should be the same in the options file and in  the email.  In this case there is a discrepancy of 325.001 kHz.  Since the LNB local oscillator is only accurate to +/- 900 kHz this is not necessarily the problem, but if the modem sweep range is not wide enough your modem may never find the carrier.  Ask TS2 to clarify the frequency and also the receive sweep acquisition range rx_acqrange in the options file.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

TS2support
★★

Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:45am  
Dear Mr Hyneman,

Please send us the pictures of your dish setup.

I will double check your opt file.

Regards,

Michal Skrok
TS2

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 12:56pm  

You have applied the polarisation adjustment the wrong way.

Polarisation adjustment of +53 means an amount of 53 deg clockwise, as viewed looking towards the satellite.  Starting position for horizontal nominal receive polarisation is with the LNB at the top or bottom; then apply the adjustment angle.  

Use this link for Satellite dish pointing in Iraq

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

TS2support
★★

Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 1:29pm  
Here is a mesage we got from costumer today:

Per your advice, we hired another technician who came this morning. He recommended due to the look angle and 17 degree offset to invert the dish and adjust to 28 degrees. Once inverted we used the SATLOOK and the dish pointing menu in iSite and used NILESAT as a refererence and adjusted. We almost immediately received a RX lock. We are currently fine tuning because the SNR is really low. I apologize for any misunderstanding. We hired a "professional" who was giving me wrong information. As a sign of good faith I have instructed my guys to post some flyers up in our recreation area with your company website and an offer to come and try it out on ours. There are many more Soldiers coming here who will be looking for internet service, and I intend to give them your information. We look forward to a good one year relationship with you. SFC Eaton, when you're ready to install, please fell free to contact me in case you need some help. After 3 days straight of playing with this, and 2 techinicians we have learned a lot and will be glad to help. Don't forget to invert the dish Smiley

Michal thanks again for your patience with us and hope you understand our situation and frustrations experienced over the last few days.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #31 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:32pm  
You only need to invert the dish if the bottom rear edge hits the pole before you get a 6.1 cm gap between the dangle string and the bottom front edge of the dish, as for a 14.3 deg beam elevation angle.

If you invert the dish and have the front upright the beam elevation is minus 17 deg down into the ground.  You then need to tilt the front face back by 31.3 deg to get a beam elevation of 14.3 deg for IS901 satellite.

Even with the dish upside down the same set up procedure for the initial polarisation nominal position and the direction of applying the polarisation adjustment applies.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #32 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 7:40pm  
Ok everyone,
First of all thank you so much for all the help with this.  Spending over $4000 on equipment then watching it sit there for 4 days without working properly can be very frustrating.

I went with TS2 because they were recommended to me by USComz, who does all of the housing unit internet in Camp Taji.  But if i am unable to get this thing running after I go through all of these troubleshooting procedures tomorrow, I will consider a new provider.

Please send a price list for your different ratios and throughput to ahyneman@gmail.com.

As I said I will not be at the dish until tomorrow evening so I will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks again,
Alan

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #33 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:31pm  
And the problems continue...

I tried again tonight starting at 16deg on the inclinometer and moving down by 1/4 turn on the fine tune adjustment, doing 30degree azimuth sweeps.  The highest voltage I was able to get was around 4.5v at right around 14deg elevation and 249 magnetic azimuth.  There is a clear view of the sky in that direction.  Is it possible that the radio equipment here on the base could be interfering with the signal?  The next thing I suppose I will try is moving the dish to a new location?  Or inverting the dish?  Is it possible that my coax cables are bad?

TS2 is suggesting using sat 10-02 instead of 901.  I am thinking maybe I'll try to get a lock on that from my current location just to see if I can lock on anything at all...

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #34 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:51pm  
Have you set the polarisation as described above ?
The photo above shows that the required polarisation adjustment amount, +53 deg, has been applied anticlockwise, instead of clockwise, while facing towards the satellite.  Put the LNB back at the top, then move it +53 deg to the right, as viewing towards the satellite. Sorry to be repetitive, but it is important to be quite clear on this.

How/why are you setting 14 deg or 16 deg on an inclinometer?  If you apply an inclinometer to the front side edge of the dish you need an inclinometer angle of -2.3 deg, with the top front edge of the dish 6.1cm forwards of the lower front edge of the dish (use the dangle line).  The scale on the back should show 14.3 deg beam elevation.

If you do try IS-10-02 you will need a new options file and a new set of polarisation and elevation angles to be set.  See below:
The elevation angle is higher which will reduce the effect of rain and scintillation.

Turning the dish upside down is only necessary if the bottom rear edge of the dish hits the pole and you can't get the elevation down far enough.  Your antenna is designed to go down to 10 deg elevation. See the scale on the rear bracket.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #35 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 1:46am  
Eric,

Sorry I guess I forgot to mention but yes I did change the polarization.  The wording threw me off at first, as I was turning clockwise while facing the dish.  That has been fixed though.  I moved the dish from it's original location on the top roof to something down lower where there is absolutely NO radio equipment that could possibly interfere.  I again got spikes of 4-5volts, on azimuth, but at various elevations.  I got an opt file from Bentley which I am going to try tomorrow.  I am also going to test my cables for signal loss...

Thanks again,
Alan

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #36 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 10:58am  

Each time you peak up on some satellite with 4 - 5 volts you are detecting power.

Once you are on the correct satellite and correct polarisation and with matching LNB local oscillator frequency and tuning parameters in the options file the modem will lock to the wanted downlink carrier and you will get a much higher voltage. Then peak up again.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

ahyneman
★★

Reply #37 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 2:27pm  
Ok,
I got the 10-02 opt file from TS2 and got 12v on my first sweep.  I spent about 40 mins tweaking and I was able to get to 15.6v with a 8.8-9.2 snr downstream.  They did say it would be easier to point to 10-02, but I was doing everything right when trying for 901 and I could not get anything above 4-5v spikes in my sweeps.  I feel like if I was able to get 901, I should have seen SOME kind of significant spike.

So thanks everyone for all of your help!!

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #38 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 10:39am  
It is nice to hear when issues are successfully resolved.  I am pleased to hear that all is now working well.

I have deleted many messages that were above.  Contributors should note that they themselves may go back and edit or delete their own messages to alter or remove content that may, upon relection, be not appropriate here.

Best regards, Eric.  

IP Logged

ahedin
★★

Afghanistan
Reply #39 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 2:09pm  
Gentlemen,

We too purchased a system from TS-2 and it took me 2 1/2 days of travel to get it back to the base here in Afghanistan. We too made a huge investment from our own pokets to be able to have internet service here on the FOB. We have very limited postal services here and there is no way I can leave to pick replacement parts up.

We have spent 4 1/2 days waiting to here back from Michal and the reply we got was "I honestly don't know whats wrong" We moved the dish to a higher loacation and no change. The Max voltage we can obtain is 4.9v and have followed the directions correctly and Eric has been very helpful in suggestions to resolve the problem.

Bottom line is this:   WE GOT SCREWED BY TS-2 !!!!!!

Looks like the Polish have well rehearsed plan to send out systems that are inoperable and collect huge amounts of money from the US military and civillans. Maybe they are a funding organization for the Taliban?

I'm looking at filling a complaint with my CCC and PayPal for defective services and Equipment to see if we can try and recover some of our loss. I spent alot of time trying to research this and wish I had dug further into this forum. My BAD!!!

Anyway it looks like we are going to try and paint the dish with chrome paint and use it for tanning. That way we might get some of our money back with a tanning salon.

IP Logged

A.Walker
★★★

Reply #40 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 10:32am  
Dear Sir

I think the reason TS2 are having issue is they have a low elevation and not always possible to see the angle to the Satellite , I can offer you a test on our platforms which are Sesat which is around 53 elevation and Eutelsat W6 which has 23 elevation , both have I Direct service, also I might be able to help with installation depending where you are located , please contact sales@bentleywalker.com if this helps  

IP Logged

Pages: 1