Satsig logo
Satellite Broadband Forum.
Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum.  Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure.  Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Read the Forum rules.  Click Register at the bottom if you want to join.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Starband in Louisiana (Read 5550 times)
liljim

Re: Starband in Louisiana
Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2007 at 3:58am

thanks for the info and the link. According to that i got

Pointing a satellite TV dish at the Satellite at 72 West orbit longitude

Dish elevation= 47.1, Azimuth= 145.6 (magnetic compass), Polarisation= -28.2

Polar mounts only: Main angle= 32.6, Downward tilt= 4.6, Motor drive sideways angle= 22.4

I will check everything out tomorrow and see what i come up with. Thanks again

Jim

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Administrator

Personal text from: Profile,
Options, Top line

Reply #16 - May 3rd, 2007 at 9:04am

Here is a diagram showing a minus - 45 deg polarisation adjustment (IN RED) being applied.

If you are already receiving a fairly good signal then it is probably a case of you getting a clear understanding of where the minus - 28.2 deg adjustment needs to be applied and then making some small movement if necessary.  

Note all four alternative starting positions.  2 for horizontal and 2 for vertical polarisation.  The choice of the alternative starting positions is needed in some configurations to  avoid parts hitting the metal arm or yoke bracket.  Otherwise the adjustment movement required may appear impossible.

Perhaps if you send a picture (to eric@satsig.net) it would help. Put the camera at the top of the dish facing towards the feed.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

liljim

Reply #17 - May 5th, 2007 at 5:01pm

thanks. i'll send a couple pics your way in the next day or so.

IP Logged

liljim

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2007 at 12:39am

Eric,

i apologize for not getting some pics sent yet, i've been working like crazy. I did run into an interesting situation though, im the proud owner of a craped out router. I disconnected my router and ran straight to my pc and it seems im getting all (or the majority of) my bandwidth.

I guess thats what i get for buying linksys. I would still like to send a couple pics if thats ok, thats assuming i'll be off work early enough one day to snap something remotely close to visable.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2007 at 10:17am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

serverguy

CA
Reply #19 - May 11th, 2007 at 8:01pm

I have found Linksys to be less than optimal in many applications.  I will avoid using their products in the future and have been for some time now.  They seem to be mostly a waste of money.

Glad you found the problem. 

Mike

IP Logged

connectme

VSAT Sales, Installation
and Service

LA
Reply #20 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 5:48pm

OOPS,

Sorry, I just registered on this site today and saw the previous conversation.  I am a Starband dealer/installer in Louisiana and do vsat work on lots of other systems.

If you take the Starband online installer certification test you will be able to use your cert number to align the system using CVACS, their direct telephone interface to the hub and get precise co pol, cross pol and adjacent satellite interference.  This system is available 24/7/365, no operator assistance necessary.

Tim

AIM  
IP Logged

HVYMTL

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 4:13am

for what it's worth,
I've had very good results as many have everywhere with the Linksys WRT54g early series router AP, it could be upgraded/hacked to DD-wert and Seasoft firmware upgrades. I use those in several business and home applications for several years. I also use older (2yrs) Linksys business level switches in a small business LAN.
I've not tried any of the products since they were bought out by the "business" level co.

IP Logged

liljim

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 6:38pm

Well guys,
Despite all the available help i've ditched starband all together. After 6 months of nothing but headache i just couldnt take it anymore. My router has been the least of my problems. I've had an installer out twice and a modem replacement and still no signal. Personally i suspect a faulty LNB but im at a point that i could care less whats wrong with it now. Its been down for 2 weeks now and all starband can do is scratch their heads and wonder whats wrong. I've made a few phone calls and located a wi-fi hotspot 3 miles from me and guarantees he can reach me from there. Im in the process of constructing a tower to clear a couple trees and i should then be internet bound. I should be running 1 to 1.5 MB down and 256 up with cable/dsl latency for the same cost i was paying starband. $200 setup as opposed to starbands $500 setup.

Starband is trying to charge me $500 for early termination for a service that they couldnt provide. I've given them 6 months to correct everything and at least provide me with a decent connection and they cant seem to do so. Their conclusion is that something at my location is causing an interference with the signal, although theres nothing in front of the dish but open sky. If theres an RF interference i would have no idea where it would be coming from nor do i feel its anything under my control. In my opinion thats something the installer should have determined and corrected if possible. Im not sure if the EMF signal from power lines would be a factor but again, thats the installers call.

Thanks to everyone who offered advise on my situation, its people like you who help make the world go around. If anyone is ever in need of PC support, drop by http://www.pctechforums.com and perhaps i can return the favor. Im a Mod over there along with several other great people.

Thanks again,
liljim

IP Logged

carterscomm03

Reply #23 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:44pm

liljim man i didn't read  all the messeges but how long is the cable and is it copper or copper clad

carters communications
YIM  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Anytime you want to order from Amazon...
If in Americas, please use the link below:

Useful links:
My latitude longitude (lat/long) finder
Email me: eric@satsig.net
Anytime you want to order from Amazon...
If in Europe, please use the link below: