Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

DirecWay from USA in EU?

(Read 6073 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 23rd, 2005 at 10:44pm  
Does anyone here have an idea if the DirecWay terminal once purchased in USA will actually work in Europe?
As I can figure this out so far - it depends on if the maintenance contract is still running in USA with their local provider, or not.
If it does - then theoretically one can use this terminal in USA as well as anywhere outside of USA.
Am I correct...?

Any comments are more then appriciated.
Cheers.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 4:21am  
Direcway units made for use in North America are only capable of  operating in a linear polarization environment; that is, either horizontal or vertical. The AC/DC transformer may also be limited to 110v/60hz supply.

The power supply can be swapped out for an "international" version, but you'll be spinning your wheels if/when you encounter a circular polarization environment; that is, either right or left.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2006 at 11:10pm by USN - Retired »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 7:09am  
Thank you for the info, Greg.

I have found out that the satellites we use for DirecWay in Europe have linear orthogonal polarization for Eutelsat W1 and
linear (vertical and horizontal) for ATLANTIC BIRD™ 1 - is that suitable?

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 10:02am  
Both Eutelsat W1 and Eutelsat  Atlantic Bird 1 use dual orthogonal linear polarisation.  In each case, if you are on the same longitude as the satellite, the polarisations will be approximately vertical and horizontal.

Check that the frequency bands are acceptable. You may need an LNB with different local oscillator frequency.

Ask the proposed Europe hub if what you intend is acceptable.  They may not be able to get the keys for your particular indoor box if the original US hub or the factory is uncooperative, in which case you will need a new indoor unit from the European hub.

A further possible problem is the dish design.  Check that it will be acceptable.  The cross polar and sidelobe interference limits vary from satellite to satellite.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2005 at 10:28am  
Thank you Eric, this is truly informative for me! I will have a look into details you wrote about.

Cheers!

IP Logged

wafanet
★★★

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2005 at 3:27pm  
Dear All,

DirecWay in Middle East, Afghanistan are all sold via us and it's the most competetive pricing . We have more then 2,000 only in Iraq alone

Visit us (https://vsat.wafa.ae) or email us : sales@wafa.ae and all will be taken care of

IP Logged

Andreas Buxbaum

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:25am  
This is very interesting, but you are not a certified Distributor... How you are able to sell 2000 units?

Best Regards
Andreas Buxbaum
www.nynex.de

IP Logged

wafanet
★★★

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 5:06pm  
Thats the secret Mate-)
Check anywhere in Iraq and Afghanistan and Wafa is well known . We are partners with one of HNS' largest VAR. Think it's obvious now:)

IP Logged

Pages: 1