Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Prodelin 1.2M Series 1134 with Idirect ?

(Read 6515 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm  
Right now I have a iDirect setup on a Prodelin 1.2M Series the Prodelin Dish was used on a Hughes system before so I decide to upgrade it for iDirect bought a new buc and lnb I place it on the original Hughes feed assembly. It works but is not transmitting the way it is suppose to. So then at the advice on my services provider they told me I need a new assembly kit because that was used for Hughes is not meant for the iDirect system. So I bought there kit a Prodelin KU-Band Installation OMT interface 4069-406. Put it on with the same feed horn, which my provider told that the feed horn shouldn't matter, so I'm guessing there right. So with the new Kit on I get a signal lock with the Express AM-22 but when I start transmitting and get lock into the Network my receive signal goes in an out of lock. The only major difference is that the new kit LNB mount is extended about 3cm from the Hughes LNB mount. My provider has no answer to my resolution except buy a Channel Master dish. But I still believe that dish still can be used. So I'm wondering if someone had success with a Prodelin 1.2M Series 1134 and iDirect technology. And know what I am doing wrong.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 7:36pm  
If your receive fails when you transmit then I suggest:

1. The transmitter may be about to burn out the LNB.  You need the correct band pass/band stop filters to prevent unacceptable levels of TX signal getting into the LNB.  Commonly, a "transmit reject filter" is located between the OMT and the LNB input.  In some cases a transmit band pass filter is also inserted between the BUC and the OMT. See the figure on this page https://www.satsig.net/feed1.htm and read about feed diameters for the different models of Prodelin antennas.

2. Check the cable connectors.   When the BUC transmits the DC current may increase.  If the 4 braid connections are not perfect, some strange current paths can happen, which may result in low LNB volts.

Item 1 above reminds me of a cautionary learning story, as follows:  If you ever find a dead LNB don't just go replacing it with a new one, otherwise you might end up with many burned out LNBs !

Regarding feed type you should have the larger diameter version as your dish is the long focal length type f/d=0.8 intended to achieve good polarisation purity over the -1dB beamwidth to meet ETSI euro specifications, which I don't agree with, incidentally.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 6:05pm  
I put an Andrews Feed Assembly Kit on my Prodelin and it works fine and my services provider told me the transmit is clear now. I'm just wondering why the piece they gave me didn't work, it kind of upsets me. That my provider gave me something that wasn't meant to work.

IP Logged

Riccardo Moro

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 3:19pm  
Yes I have a solution
Still interested
Riccardo

IP Logged

Pages: 1