Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

DW 7000 SETUP

(Read 12857 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:32pm  
I am one of the many who struggle with moving my internet connection to a new location. Looked all over for accurate info about how to install, reinstall the dish and commision the modem. Read many suggestions that ranged from you dont know squat to incorrect ideas about what is required to get set up in a new location. In the end I did receive a very good link

https://www.businesswebsupport.com/manual/operatorsmanual.html#intro

that takes you step by step through the whole process. Although the link refers to the DW6000 it also applies to the DW7000. The link suggests using the OPI meter. From my own experience, if you have a lap top computer and good screen brightnes for outdoor viewing you can skip the OPI meter. I do suggest using a GPS for anyone setting up outside of  a town so as to obtain accurate alignment information. Of particular interest is a chart in the setup info that provides many (but not all) satellite headings/names that coincide with the transponder data form in the DW7000 setup screens.

IP Logged

SanchoVilla

Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 6:21pm  
I am a newbie as far as internet sat is concerned and am a registered direcway user. I work in disaster recovery and thus the reason for sat internet system. Must move frequently. Never the less am having trouble with first move and need a little info. System originally set up in Mississippi by prof installer. DW7000 with oval grey disk. Original mount on pole. Attempting set up on gable mount with plumb pole. My first problem is the the modem is commissioned to a sat at 89west. This sat is not listed in the on screen chart. Thus I am unable to deterine dish settings to locate from new location. Second problem is wether or not to recommission to a different sat where this information would be available?

I have had communication with direcway and they are reluctant to assist in any way. They claim that my transponder will only see 1 specific sat and i would have to change it out for each specific sat. I realise that this is bad information. My 7000 is commissioned to a specific sat and that is what i need to locate. I have read the 6000 manual and am perfectly able to handle new set up with correct info. Also have contacted local installers and been priced aroud 350.00. Way too much considering i will have to move it 2-4 times a year.

Can anyone tell me where to find what sats will work with dw7000, their location from a given zip or gps cooridinates, and the site registration id needed to recommision modem to different sat. Or is changing sat a bad idea? Then where is info for 89west sat and why is it not listed in chart?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I already know I'm an idiot! No need to help me there!

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:51pm  
[quote author=SanchoVilla link=1139934753/0#1 date=1141150891]Can anyone tell me where to find what sats will work with dw7000, their location from a given zip or gps cooridinates, and the site registration id needed to recommision modem to different sat. Or is changing sat a bad idea? Then where is info for 89west sat and why is it not listed in chart?[/quote]
Your account is commissioned to a single transponder on one satellite only. If/when you relocate, you need merely set up to re-access the same satellite and transformer. Typically that only takes an adjustment in the antenna pointing angles relative to your new location. Direcway is never involved when the process is approached in this manner. Mobile users deal with this on a daily basis.

Decommissioning and recommissioning necessarily brings Direcway into the picture. Those are two function that only they can perform. As you may already have concluded, it's generally best to avoid having to deal with them - especially when it's not possible to ever speak to the same person on consecutive occasions. It's ever so aggravating to have to re-invent the wheel every time you pick up the phone with those people.

To get a feel for how the mobile Direcway community handlesl this, I recommend you visit https://www.datastormusers.com/. Once there, it's the tripod users that will be of interest to you.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1