Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Nothing but problems (DIRECWAY)

(Read 3039 times)
Alan Brock

Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:40pm  
Hello all,

I am hoping to get a problem resolved before I go nuts on Direcway. For the last month I have been having speed/connection issues. So much to the point I have generated screen shots of problems for the last 2 weeks. I have over 24 now. My problem is that I am unable to keep any good range of download speeds. I have gone from 768k to as low as 46k download speeds. I am so tired of trying to have the tech. support attempt to fix my link, especially since it takes at least 45 minutes to get a human on the phone. I have had this service for about 4 months now, but haven't had any good feelings about it. I live in El Paso TX and we haven't really expeirenced many days without a good line of site.  I am at the point of canceling my service, but not willing to dish out the money of early term. and equip. cost. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alan

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 11:52pm  
Sorry, but there's not enough info in your post to arrive at any meaningful conclusions, but it sounds like you might have a DW7000. The list of reasons to explain degrading throughput is very long. The process of elimination in picking the right one from the list is equally long. And all that's before any remedial steps are even taken.

There's a reasonably capable search engine at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat that might put you in touch with other DW7000 users. I think it best if you find a few folks that share your configuration and your complaint. One way or another, it's very likely tech support will still have to become involved - if for no other reason than to authorize sending an installer on a repair visit. But when anticipating contact with HughesNet entry level tech support, it's always best to be armed (with as much information as possible).

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Megan

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:23pm  
Sounds like you are on a network that is saturated with users and has high latency. Keep in mind that your typical satellite Internet service providers use television broadcast techonology, not a platform designed for Internet use. Also many ISPs saturate their networks and don't take account for the gamers, music downloaders, and large file tranfers who hog up the bandwidth and cause you to slow down. If you are looking for a long term solution, look into a satellite Internet service that uses IP communication, such as Skycasters.

IP Logged

Pages: 1