Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Using wireless for community access to VSAT

(Read 16826 times)
Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

May 4th, 2006 at 9:18am  
I am seeing increasing interest in using 802 and similar wireless techniques to allow VSAT terminals to be shared amongst a community.   Ranges of 50m - 100m are common but using masts and small higher gain antennas range of many km are being reported.  Please ask your questions here and hopefully get some answers.
Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #1 - May 12th, 2006 at 4:18am  
Eric,
I agree, there is a good application there to share vsat connections. The wireless equipment has advanced and can support many feet to miles with the right equipment. The use of parbolic dish rx/tx has boosted signal for miles. Simple high gain antennae can,also  range far- 200+ mw RX/TX, large amount of options. There are many free/low cost wifi hotspot share/pay applications also, to manage these.

if anyone is intrested, I'm sure I can direct you to the web sites I use for equipment or referance, contact me at www.CountrySideNet.com

Tom

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 11:01am  
Tom:

I am taking you up on your offer, although what I am looking for is Wireless Internet Servive Provider (WISP) Access Point, antenna, and bridges that can cover a metropolitan of about 20 miles or 32 Kilometers radius, cost is also a factor, but the most important fact is dependability and reliablity.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2007 at 8:44am  
Hi Tom,
Further to your posting on the Satsig forum - Re: countryside Wireless access, I am currently exploring the possibility of doing just that - setting up a VSAT terminal in a remote town in Tanzania and then distributing internet access to users via Wireless access. As there are alot of Christian missions, and volunteers who come there from the UK & USA, they also have problems when it comes to communicating with their relatives, etc. back in Europe & the USA.
The range we would be looking at ideally would be upto a maximum of about 10km from the base station, and also ofcourse cost factor is also an issue as it is being done as charity work on the professionals side, and the cost the hardware is to be met (at cost) by the mission.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Faiz

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:30am  
Faiz ,

I met with someone last week that has been using Tranzeo products for a long while and they are happy with the distance and reliability of the equipment. They use them in a business ISP Wifi business.

Tom

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:41am  
- Tranzeo,

Many of the units have dual radios, and some of the units have in out ports & can be daisy chained, to provide repeater services to extend the network beyond the single unit limits. Similar to WDS mode for other units but with a cat5 connection between them.

Tom

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 2:40am  
HotSpots,

Does anyone have a HotSpot authentication service they prefer? I would like to hear of opinions from those that use it, or changed to another service and why. Management of service access and bandwidth control often come up in paid and free access. Many people put up a high dbi omni service point, hand out CPE or client receiving ant. and never manage it, creating issues for those that cant use their share of available bandwidth because of those that are constant high data downloaders- P2P networks etc. Limitations on service that can be used are another consideration, will you allow YouTube or other video type streaming, a large data load on your service if unchecked.
Security, if your considering Wifi for yourself or a service to others, at least use a mac filter list & hide the SID broadcast unless your in the middle of no where.  For anyone new & in an intrest in Wifi, download netstumbler to a laptop and check your community for an example. All of this information is available on the internet, and dont want to overstate the obvious to some people, but would like to see this forum help new Wifi users as well as let the more experienced exchange ideas.
Since this site covers people from all areas, and many various vsat products, it could benefit from an exchange of WiFi service, products and ideas from all over.

My request-
I would like to see specific WiFi questions on this forum so the members could contribute direct answers and thoughts.
For those with questions please detail your requirements and what you would like to do to get direct answers.

thanks,

Tom
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:38am by HVYMTL »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 9:13pm  
Redline Radios would be good for your requirements. Contact me direct for any further information.

lcanu@futuretechllc.com

IP Logged

tunde300us
★★★

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 6:57am  
Hi,
Can anyone help with the configuration of radio with my vsat so that i can transmit from one radio to the other.I have my radio already installed but i dont know how to integrate my radio with the vsat.
U can use analogy ip's as an example to help explain it to me.
I will be very grateful if i can get the solution on time

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 1:06am  
Quote:
Hi,
Can anyone help with the configuration of radio with my vsat so that i can transmit from one radio to the other.I have my radio already installed but i dont know how to integrate my radio with the vsat.
U can use analogy ip's as an example to help explain it to me.
I will be very grateful if i can get the solution on time

Please describe in detail, the equipment you have, and many here can help you.

IP Logged

Carl_BW
★★

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 5:44pm  
I'm also interested in this topic, but very much in the dark.

Are there commercial, off-the-shelf wireless hubs that can transmit long distances, say, to houses within a mile radius?

Will the receiver you get built-in to laptops get reception OK, or do you need a special receiver?

IP Logged

Maxim Usatov
★★★

Czech Republic
Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 7:22pm  
I'd like to throw in a link:
https://www.bcsatellite.net/wifi.html

The page describes the basics of the WLAN infrastructure as well as you can click on any product to see what throughput you can get at what distance. The page is pretty much dedicated to smartBridge WiFi solutions, however you may find it useful when building your WLANs with any vendor.

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 8:32pm  
You might want to take a look at this site. Provides radio broadcasts of various wireless subjects. Very handy to listen and learn.

https://www.wirelesstechradio.com/archives/archivesdate.php

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 5:03pm  
Hi all
Rookie to the forum here.

I intend deploying a vsat solution for a community round a radius of about one and a half kilometers.

what type of antenna can i use and where can i find one.

Any help will do

IP Logged

HVYMTL
★★★

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:14am  
please refer to site above, you will learn a good amount of information. There are many sites to help you, via Google.
There are many reseller sites with information also.
If you dont have the time and need pricing quotes.
contact me.

Tom@CountrySideNet.com

IP Logged

inquisative
★★

Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 12:36pm  
Tranzeo & Osbridge are both good Radios. We use the Tranzeo extensively. The Tranzio is by far the best. Wide functionality (NAT, DHCP, Router/Bridge mode, encription etc). The CPE units are 15dbi and 19dbi power levels. Depending on Access Point configuration the 19dbi has a range up to 7 miles with clear line of sight.  I regularly install at this distance. The 15dbi's have a range of up to 5 miles.

Architecture is straight forward. VSAT->IDU-> Router/switch-> Omni-directional antenna/Directional antenna -> CPEs(Subscribers).

We put approx 40 users on each VSAT. The number of users you can put on a VSAT is dependant on the MAX IP throughput the IDU can handle, the amount of bandwidth you buy, and how well you manage the bandwidth usage i.e. subscriber usage.

IP Logged

Pages: 1