Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

I need Help getting the connection!!

(Read 7190 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 19th, 2006 at 1:53pm  
Hello, Can someone please help me.

I had the Ka Satellite internet (Xplornet) installed yesterday and could not get it to work on my computer. He tried a bunch of thing but still internet explorer gives the error message. The tech suggested it was the ethernet card (D-link) I installed only a day before, the system worked on his laptop.

I went to get a new ethernet card, but bought a new PC (deal was too good to turn down). I set up the PC and it still wont work. It says I have a network/lan connection, both lights are on on the eithernet card.

Does anyone have any ideas what how to fix the problem?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006 at 2:14pm  
Just a few ideas:

Check the etherent cable.  Is it the correct type - cross over or straight, if that matters.

Check the ethernet plugs.  If the plastic ridges between the gold contacts are crushed a bit is may prevent the spring contacts pressing down properly.

Have you set your PC network correctly ?  IP address, subnet mask, gateway and pair of DNS servers.

Can you ping to the Wildblue modem ?

Read the instructions ...

More ideas from other people please add more below..

Best regards, Eric,

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2006 at 4:37pm  
I will assume you are in Eastern Ontario, between Ottawa and Montreal. There was very bad weather in that area. My SNR was down to 8 off the Anik F2 for xplornet.

If your dish is not accurately pointed at the satellite, you would not have connected (I dropped out several times).

What are the LEDs doing on the sat modem (I assume SurfBeam)? The second led from the top indicates status. A single flashing sequence indicates search, two flashes indicates ranging and three registering. Operational connected mode is solid on.

To operate correctly, the second from the top needs to be solid on, and the bottom (LAN) connection needs to be on, but occaisionally flashing, indicating activity.

Check these first, then look at the lan setup. Ensure you are DHCP, as the directions in the xplornet information sheet shows. If these still don't work, send the network setup information from your computer.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 2:23pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1