Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Gotta switch to DW7000, Pretty Clueless

(Read 4383 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:06pm  
I am running an old 2-way modem right now. I bought it new when I first had the satellite set up over 4 years ago.

I have had a DW7000 modem sitting here for 9 months but I have been afraid to install it. The only two times I had a problem with my satellite, Direcway was such a nightmare, that it took 3 weeks one time and 4 weeks the second time to restore my connection, which included getting a service tech to the house both times.

Since much of my income relies on having an internet connection every day, I have been VERY reluctant to pull the trigger on this. But the old modem is at a crawl now, and I really have no choice.

I cannot find anything but my modem and the cables. So I have downloaded a PDF copy of the installation guide.

Can anybody tell me if there will be files I also need to download? Can anyone help me make this as painless as possible? I am reasonably computer-savvy, but clueless concerning making this changeover.

I also have another computer that gets the connection from mine as a client.

Thanks. I have a 4-day holiday today through Monday, and I'm hoping to be up and going before Monday morning. I live 2 hours from the nearest interstate in any direction, so if I lose my connection, a trip to the library to get on-line will be no simple matter.

I'm scared to death. Sad

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:36pm  
Hughes systems following the DW40x0 series became self-hosted; that is, the modem does not rely on your PC for it's software. For these systems, there is one utility they call the LCCU that you might consider, but it's not necessary just to get the connection back up and running on the DW7000

Assuming this is a used DW7000, the very first thing you should do is write down the serial number from the back of the modem, and call HughesNet tech support. IF the unit is blacklisted, there's no point in proceeding.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 12:52pm  
No, I bought this new from Hughes.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 1:18pm  
Quote:
No, I bought this new from Hughes.

OK, that makes it easier. Personally - considering the DVB-S2 capability of the HN7000S - I'd never even consider using a DW7000. Unfortunately for you, that horse has already left the barn.

Anyway. When you actually decide to pull the plug, call tech support and tell them that you need your current modem decommissioned. Be very clear that this is due to the fact that you are ready to change your existing account over to DW7000 service. Then wait till your current connection is dead, it could take a few days on their end.

At that point, go to the Satellite Based Commissioning section of the installation manual you downloaded. Hopefully you already have the SAN and PIN, the instructions should get you going from there.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 2:11pm  
Are you saying that I will be down for several days? That's the very thing I was trying to avoid, since my business depends on it.

Or are you saying that if I call now, I'll need to keep the old modem up until the connection is dead, then install the new one?

Also, what are the SAN and the PIN?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 2:40pm  
SAN and PIN numbers are required as part of the DW7000 Satellite Based Commissioning (SBC). Since you got the DW7000 direct from Hughes, they should have been in the documentation that accompanied it. Alternatively, just add that to the list of things to discuss with Hughes tech support. Ain't no way you're gonna get this done without jumping that tech support hurdle.

And yes - unless you want to start up two accounts - the current modem must be decommissioned before identifying your existing account with the new DW7000. The downside is that a new account - as opposed to just modifying the existing one - may cost you a brand new 15 month service committment.

If you run SBC on the DW7000 before DEcommissioning the current modem, you'll likely start a 2nd account whether you want it or not. I'm going to assume that this is inconsistent with your needs. If so, there will be a brief period (after the current IDU is decommissioned and before the DW7000 SBC) - that you will have no service. This is unavoidable, but manageable if you're willing to work within the system.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 4:29am  
I'm already committed to another year or more anyway, because that was the deal on picking up the modem at a reduced cost. This was probably 10 months ago. I'm not sure if I can track down the documentation or not. Will the SAN & PIN numbers be associated with the serial number of the modem itself? Obviously, they'll have a record that I bought the unit from them in the first place.

You're right, I don't want 2 accounts, which I assume would result in 2 bills. It already costs me $60/mo. as it is. Sad

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 5:02am  
Yes, the SAN and PIN are specifically associated with the individual modem serial number. If you can't come up with them yourself, they're on record at Hughes. The SBC cannot be completed without them.

But I think you'll find that service commitment isn't retroactive. More than likely it will commence the date the DW7000 is commissioned

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 2:42am  
I don't really know much about hughes but for my own curiosity, if he cancels one account is he certain that the new account is going to be on the same sat or is there a chance he will need to repoint his dish if they assign him to a different sat?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 5:05am  
Quote:
I don't really know much about hughes but for my own curiosity, if he cancels one account is he certain that the new account is going to be on the same sat or is there a chance he will need to repoint his dish if they assign him to a different sat?

Very good point. Moot now, but quite possible had he chosen to commission the DW7000 before dropping the existing account.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1