Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Self install of Direcway/Hughesnet System

(Read 17398 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Feb 18th, 2007 at 2:25pm  
After waiting patiently for over a year for Wildlue service to become available in our area, I've finally given up and purchased a new (but technically used, since it uses the non-current DW6000 modem) DIRECWAY system. I plan on doing the physical installation myself, as I have yet to have any contractor perform an installation to my expectations. I've read every article I can find on installation, and find the RV sites most helpful, with lots of info on aiming/setup in a redeployment situation. The one thing I can't find a definitive answer to is whether you can obtain your site ID and satellite assignment without contracting an installation through a dealer.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 3:18pm  
Unfortunate you didn't research further before buying the hardware, Hughes considers the DW6000 obsolete, along with the older PC-based systems. Tech support for them is on a steady decline.

But site ID and satellite assignment are the least of your worries right now. It's not uncommon for uninformed buyers to end up with hardware that Hughes won't commission. Caveat emptor. First move is to contact HughesNet Billing department and hope they'll even talk to you. If the IDU falls into the above category, they'll often insist the previous owner render his/her account current and/or physically decomission the account.

If you get that far, then you need your own SAN and PIN to recommission it under your own account. That too comes from either a professional installer - or HughesNet billing department.

Start there, make sure you haven't bought a pig inna poke first. Then we'll move on to the actual installation topic.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 4:26pm  
The equipment is NOS, still in the original box. Ebay and Craigslist is awash with these. As it stands, I have <$100 invested. (Of course, as my luck goes, two days after sending off my cash, I got an offer in my mailbox for a complete new Hughes net system installed for $199 after all the rebates (if you ever receive them) with a 15 month 59.95 commitment.) My goal going this route was to get in as cheap as possible, with no long term commitment. I originally was going to commit to the Wildblue service because the equipment costs and service plan were cheaper, but given the poor upfront service to a prospect (installation set up and then cancelled indefinitely, due to "overwhelming demand"), I chose the low road. If Hughes does balk at comissioning the system, I'll take my whooping and go on. The old saying "Good judgement comes from experience, Experience comes from bad judgement" probably applies here!

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 5:22pm  
So, assuming the modem is free of any previous account and can be comissioned, has anyone successfully aquired their SAN and PIN without having to have a "professional" installer come bless the setup? I am confident that I can perform the install, and have access to an OPI and Birdog. Judging from Greg's post above, it would seem that it could be possible to obtain these directly from Hughes.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:38pm  
MontanaSatellite sells SAN/PIN numbers, $75 I think. If you truly have a DW6000 that's never been commissioned, that's an option if HughesNet refuses your request. That said, you may get the same offer of $75 from area installers too.

Unfortunately, that bumps your $100 purchase to $175 - before you even spend a nickel on cable/connectors/grounds. Too bad that $199 offer didn't come a few days sooner. HughesNet connections are a laugh a minute (or a sob in some cases), which helps make the 15 months go by a little quicker.

//greg//
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007 at 5:16am by USN - Retired »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 12:50am  
Alright, I've aquired my SAN and pin. Actually, as soon as the modem came back as clear, the Hughes operator was more than happy to take my credit card info!! I'll be mounting the dish this week, and be ready to point. While on the phone with Montana Satellite last week, the tech mentioned that the default satellite for used installs is currently AMC 9, but that it changes occasionally. There are two transponder choices, 1390 and 1430 MHz. I've searched through the forums and can't find anything that mentions how to determine which transponder to use.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 2:43am  
They change from time to time, but you won't know to which satellite the Hughes commissioning computer will assign you until you you've actually gone through the commisioning process. What Montana told you about the default satellite may be current tomorrow, it may not. Best you can do without the current knowledge of a certified installer is attempt a satellite based commissioning. If you're lucky, you're already pointed at the satellite you'll be assigned to. Maybe even the transponder, but the odds of that are low. So after the SBC, be prepared to reorient the dish and change the IF frequency

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 4:19pm  
Well, I've now made it throught he commissioning process. At the restart at the end of commissioning, and after the welcome screen, the system control panel indicated that I was locked onto the wrong satellite, as was suggested might be the case. Now, how do you determine the correct satellite to point to? Is it the one that is listed under system information in the DW6000 control panel? It shows 87 (AMC3) in the info tab, but since I didn't pay attention to what was there before, I don't know if this is the assignment, or just default values. I tried to aim at 87 last night, but the line of sight is somewhat compromised in that direction. If this is my assignment, I will have to move my mount to accomodate it.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 6:49pm  
it's my understanding that - after you complete the satellite based commissioning - that the satellite and transponder in your user interface are those to which you've been assigned.

Certified installers have the authorization to interface with Hughes in the event of satellite visibility problems. But since you insisted on a self-install, the "compromised" line of sight is self-inflicted. Yes - best get busy moving the dish. Or - as should have been evident by now - call an installer.

I believe you're almost qualified to join the "getting a used system isn't as cheap as I thought" club

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 8:28pm  
A little while after I sent the previous post, I went out and discoverd I'd made an error with my compass. After adjusting and pointing per the antenna manual to the values in the control panel, I'm set up and online. Thanks for the help. As for the club membership, I'm not so sure I'll qualify. Zero install fee, zero account setup fee, no contract, and about $175 in equipment and cableing. Actually, money isn't the point. I like doing things myself, and learning in the process. Asking questions that are painfully obvious to the saged is part of that process. Thanks for helping the newbie out.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 10:02pm  
You're very welcome. That YOU're satisfied - is all that counts.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1