Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

can I use catv cable for my satellite?

(Read 8086 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Mar 29th, 2007 at 3:20am  
Hi, I bought some cable from ebay a few weeks ago and it just arrived. I am trying to set up my DW6000 satellite. When I purchased the cable it said it was RG6 cable. The cable that came says that it is catv cable series 6 18AWG  TFC-T10 100v. I have looked on a few sites and some people say it's ok to run it for satellite. I dont know anything about cable, but I am not too happy if somone is selling something on ebay claiming it to be rg6 and this stuff is just the generic type. If it is RG6 then that's great. Can anyone let me know what this is, if it is just for cable tv or if I can use it for my satellite. I have about 150' to run and I bought 1000' of this. Thanks

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 4:48am  
I personally wouldn't have wasted any money on it.  Here's a link to the data sheet. https://www.timesfiber.com/pdfs/Cable%20Specifications/semiflex-info.pdf.
Note that it's only swept to 1 GHz.  And if the center conductor isn't solid copper, I wouldn't have bought it either.

My advice is NOT to use it for a digital signal - especially a digital broadband satellite internet connection. You need 2.2GHZ swept or 3GHz swept cable for that. I think even HDTV needs 2.2GHz cable now.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 6:19pm  
Thanks for the response, but in my post I explained that it was being sold as RG-6, when it arrived it was what I said it is, how would you have known not to buy it when it is advertised as RG-6 cable? I am about to send an email  to the company that sold this as RG-6?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 9:51pm  
I guess you don't realize that RG6 comes in quite a few flavors. In TFC-speak, "Series 6" is RG6. If you'd used that link I gave you to investigate their entire product line, perhaps you'd have picked up on what I was trying to say. Here's another of their brochures: https://www.timesfiber.com/siteDev/pdfs/Cable%20Specifications/6-dropcable.pdf
Perhaps you can find your specific cable in there. You haven't yet provided enough info for me to figure out which RG6 you bought

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1