Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

keep losing service

(Read 7602 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 19th, 2007 at 5:19pm  
I had xplornet installed last summer. The last couple of months i keep losing internet connection and i have to reset everything. i mean uplugging my modem and router, waiting a minute and then plugging them back in. i do this about 4 or 5 times a day. i had a tech out two days ago. he replaced my modem and said everything should be fine. an hour later it was out. i thought it might be our router so i sent it to dlink to be checked. they sent me back a new one. but the two weeks it was gone we still had the problem. now the router is reconnected and same. i have two pc's hooked in and one laptop in the livingroom (it is the only one on wireless). what can i do?? i should add that all of the lights are always on on the modem and all of the lights are on on the router, showing a connection. the "little" screens showing a connection is there on the bottom right hand corner of my screen, but if i log onto msn or something, it says i have no connection

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2007 at 7:43pm  
If the system is not grounded properly, electrostatic potential (static electricity) can accumulate in both the IDU and the ODU - not necessarily at the same time. When that happens, the logic circuits can get upset; ones become zeros, zeros become ones. Rebooting/recycling/power cycling resets all the ones and zeros to default. But if the static electricity is not properly shunted to ground, this scenario will keep repeating itself over and over and over.

That then begs the questions; is your dish grounded - and more importantly - are your cables grounded?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1