Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Hughesnet In Iraq

(Read 7272 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Jun 23rd, 2007 at 3:12pm  
Im trying to setup a Hughesnet system in Iraq. I am located on FOB Normandy. My L/L is 34:02:22N 45:00:32E

I'm not weven sure which satellite to point at. I found a web site that lets you pick the satelite and then choose your location and then it tells me where to point it, but I need to know which one to choose.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 4:00pm  
This is the page for satellite dish pointing in Iraq

Regarding choice of satellite, you will need to contact a service provider with HughesNet service in a beam covering Iraq.  Several are suggested on page satellite internet service in Iraq.

Contact them all and they will tell you what satellite, what nominal polarisation and what downlink frequency and symbol rate to tune to.  You need to tell them also the serial and model numbers of your indoor equipment.   Tell them the model types for the BUC and LNB also.  Not all LNBs suit all the downlinks.
wxw
Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2007 at 1:04pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:55pm  
Quote:
Im trying to setup a Hughesnet system in Iraq. I am located on FOB Normandy. My L/L is 34:02:22N 45:00:32E

I'm not weven sure which satellite to point at. I found a web site that lets you pick the satelite and then choose your location and then it tells me where to point it, but I need to know which one to choose.

Hopefully you're not assuming that you can just aim at a point in space and access the internet. It's not free, nor is it accessible without contacting and contracting with a provider - usually for a minimum of 12 months. If you've got Hughes hardware, your choices of providers are limited strictly to those providing HughesNet/Direcway service. And if your equipment was brought over from America, you may face additional compatibility issues.

Pick a provider of Hughes service, interface directly with them about equipment compatibility. Don't sign anything until you're convinced that your equipment will work over there.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1