Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Newbie Purchase and Install questions

(Read 2335 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Sep 13th, 2007 at 8:45pm  
Hi, All. Trying to piece this together.
Hughesnet is offering rebates and incentives, with a two year contract. I think I'd rather go it alone, as I do not know where I'm going to be for the next 24 months.
So I need a 7000 series system for best throughput, a direct way fiberglass or newer Hughes (rounder) dish. And I need a tripod. I'm seeing two types- a shorter one that looks more like a tripod for photographers and a larger one that has more cables, etc. and looks like it would take more storage room and more time to hook up.
I need a modem that has been de-commed or serials so I can check with Hughes as to its status.
And Hughes will sell me service direct? One dealer said you must be an installer to have a tripod mounted system. I can't beleive all you RVers out there are installers. I can follow instructions and I'm aware locking on the  wrong bird can cause havock. I'm sure I could do this with instruction.
I see lots of 7000 series on ebay- though most look like they are off a house. Can those be adapted to the tripod, or do i need the more oval directway style dish ( I think it is lighter?)
Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 1:02am  
There is a tripod user category in the mobile internet forum DataStorm. Rather than them come talk to you here, perhaps you'd consider talking to them at https://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/index.html

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1