Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Pointing to EutelSat W4 for DSTV Channel

(Read 26933 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Oct 18th, 2007 at 7:23pm  
Hi Guys...

I've been installing VSAT but I'm failing to pick up TV signal with a 90cm Ku Band Antenna using Universal LNB..
I'm using Spectrum Analyser to track the Satellite...I've tried the beacon frequency 11706.85 and 11450.35 as I heard it's now called SESAT 1....
Has anyone every picked up DSTV channels in West Africa?
What Frequency must I put on the spectrum analyser...eg: if I need to pick up DSTV channels from South Africa using Pas7/10 I just need to put 1894MHz on my metter....

I'm in Guinea at the moment....

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 7:52pm  
Have a look here https://www.lyngsat.com/36east.html to see all the carriers on Eutelsat W4 /SESAT at 36 deg east.  Note that only some carriers are on beams pointed to Africa. Check the beam patterns for your site and dish size.

To tune to any of these carriers, subtract either 9750 or 10600 MHz from the satellite downlink frequency.  The result is the frequency in the cable to your analyser.  Select the Universal LNB local oscillator frequency using a 22kHz tone.  22kHz tone ON = High frequency 10600 MHz selected.

If you are using a Universal LNB intended for dual polarisation satellite TV reception you will also have to use low 13 volts, or high 19 volts to switch the polarisation.  

If you are setting up a two-way transmit/receive  VSAT you then need to remove the Universal TV LNB and replace it with the VSAT feed/OMT/BUC/filter/LNB assembly.   For VSAT, I would myself use the final equipment configuration for finding the satellite.   The modem will lock up quite happily as you sweep across and find the satellite.

If you want instead, to receive from PAS7 or 10 then repeat the above procedure..

I know nothing about DSTV.

Best regards, Eric
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2007 at 10:50pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 6:36am  
Thanks Eric,

I'm going to try again today...I hope I'll be ok...I've seen several frequencies for EutelSat W4, 12476-10600=1876 for Africa, that is also what I see on th DSTV decoder, an 12207-10600=1607...I hope I'm using the right frequencies.. Smiley
I'll update you

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 2:58pm  
Hi Eric,

I've tried several frequencies..I failed..Is there anyone from West Africa who've installed the Multichoice DSTV Decoder...? I can't seem to pick up anything from West Africa Guinea....

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 7:28pm  
I really don't know anything specific to your satellite, but the LOF associated with the Ku-satellites I use over here is 10750 MHz.

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 10:34pm  
This is the W4 Nigeria steerable spot beam:
Guinea is just beyond the western edge.  If you are on the coast your level will be rather low.

This is the W4 central Africa beam:
You are in the above beam. The 12476H 26040 2/3 carrier is in this beam and is worth searching for.

There is a South Africa beam from Sesat 1; this does not cover Guinea.

See link below for complete list of programs.
https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/mcafrica36.html 
I suggest you save the page on your PC.

Dish pointing:
Use page https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-dish-pointing-west-africa.htm and select 36 EAST.

Polarisation:
Assuming you have a universal type LNB with switchable polarisations and switchable Ku frequency bands.   Start with the LNB upright, then while facing towards the satellite turn it about 77 deg anticlockwise.

Tuning:
Start with the satellite frequency and subtract the LNB local oscillator frequency.  Investigate the specification of your LNB to find it actual LO options, probably controllable using 13 or 19 volts, and its polarisations, probably controllable by a 22 kHz tone.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007 at 9:25am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 3:35pm  
This is the parameters for DSTV
LNB freq: -dual
               -low= 9750
               -hight= 10600
Use NIT= Yes
Freq= 11476