Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Multiple VLANs Router mode?

(Read 8495 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 15th, 2007 at 7:54am  
Hi,

I'm assisting a friend to decide on a VSAT for his office in Mexico and we have a question about the iDirect router. He needs to seperate traffic between his own office and two other business wanting to share the same VSAT.

I read it supports multiple VLANs - but we wanted to know, if it acts as a switch in this case (which means no local DHCP, NAT or RIP support), or it is still a router with all the services.

If it is still a router - does it mean it have seperate routing tables per VLAN? 'cause if not - does the router routes traffic between different VLANs (and then it doesn't ansewr the seperation need).

Thanks for all of you in this wonderful site.

Paul

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 11:17pm  
The iDirect VLAN feature is designed to allow multiple sites on an iDirect-enabled network to operate as a VLAN, so they can pass traffic between themselves.

The VLAN feature does not apply to multiple subnets or routes at the remote site.  You can use a standalone router or layer 3 switch to create multiple (private IP)network segments behind the iDirect modem/router.

The iDirect modem/router does not route between the switch ports on the 5100 or provide multi-LAN routing between multiple networks on the same LAN.   (Unless they've added something I don't know about). 

iDirect also has a device called the MUSiC box (multi-user summing chassis or something like that).  I think they still sell this.  It used to list for about $6200.  It allowed multiple iDirect modem/routers to share a single ODU (dish/buc/lnb), so that each customer had his own modem/router and billable account.

Hope this helps,

Pat

Business Satellite Solutions, LLC
www.bsatellite.com

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 5:42pm  
Thanks for the reply man.
How the VLAN mode is related with Routing capabilities of the 5100?
Can I set local DHCP for example per VLAN-port in the 5100 - with different pools. Does the 5100 hold a routing table per VLAN?
If I still want NAT - do I need to user external device - or can I set NAT per VLAN-port?

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:24pm  
I'm not sure you understood me.  The 5100 does not route between its switch ports. 

The iDirect Hub can be configured to create a VLAN consisting of multiple remote sites. 

Your network operator can configure NAT and DHCP on your 5100, but there is only 1 (one) routed IP network coming out of the 5100.  You cannot configure DHCP/NAT on each of the switch ports. 

Most customers elect to use a local server or gateway/router to perform NAT/DHCP so that they have local control and don't have to go to the network operator for any configuration changes.

Pat

IP Logged

Pages: 1