Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

How to calculate the azimuth and elevation manually

(Read 19321 times)
koke1234
★★

Jan 27th, 2008 at 1:05am  
How to calculate the azimuth and elevation manually . What is rule and the way?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 1:51am  
Credit to bigdish.info :
Formula where:
L= your latitude in degrees West,
S= satellite position in degrees west 
n= your longitude in degrees west
Note: tan⁻¹= inverse tan or tan written as to the minus power one 
        cos⁻¹= inverse cos or cos written to the minus power of one

Elevation = tan⁻¹ ((cos (cos⁻¹ (L * cos(S-n))) - 0.15116) / sin(cos⁻¹ (cos L * cos(S-n))))

Azimuth = cos⁻¹ (( -tan L / tan (cos⁻¹ (cos L * cos (S-n))))

- or -

Use one of the dozen or more look angle calculators available online or as free downloads for your PC or laptop. A lot of them calculate the POL angle for you as well. I'm guessing you didn't know that SatSig has one: https://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

//greg//

Edited by forum admin 22 June 2021 to turn "icos" into "cos⁻¹" and "itan" into "tan⁻¹".  I received comment about the previously used expressions "icos" and "itan", and after a big effort managed to create and insert superscript minus 1 characters in UTF-8 coding. I cannot confirm that the formula works. Note that if you use a calculator to work out the "cos⁻¹" and "tan⁻¹", then you need the output angle mode set to degrees, not radians. Eric.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2008 at 5:09am by USN - Retired »  

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

koke1234
★★

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 2:03am  
thank you my friend for the information but only today i found this great site and i wish the best for it really

IP Logged

koke1234
★★

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 3:05am  
Quote:
Credit to bigdish.info :
Formula where: L= latitude in degrees West, S= satellite position in degrees west & n= longitude in degrees west
Note: tan⁻¹= invers tan or tan written to the minus power one & cos⁻¹=invers cos or cos written to the minus power of one
Elevation = tan⁻¹ ((cos (cos⁻¹ (L * cos(S-n))) - 0.15116) / sin(cos⁻¹ (cos L * cos(S-n))))

- or -

Use one of the dozen or more look angle calculators available online or as free downloads for your PC or laptop. A lot of them calculate the POL angle for you as well. I'm guessing you didn't know that SatSig has one: https://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

//greg//

please can you explain the above formula that you send with examples I will be greatfull .
thanks

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 5:06am  
For those that understand trigonometry, the formula is its own explantion. For those that don't, there are online and downloadable calculators that perform the calculations for you. We have one here at https://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
Others can be found with https://www.google.com/search?q=calculate+azimuth+elevation&sourceid=navclient-f...

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

koke1234
★★

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 2:50pm  

Dear Groh

Please can you send a calculation example for this formula because I tried to solve it but I had a wrong results just to confirm from your side :

Formula where: 
L= your latitude in degrees West,( Lat    = 25 degrees,   17.7 minutes   North)

S= satellite position in degrees west  (Eutelsat w3A 7East)

n= your longitude in degrees west,( Long = 51 degrees,   30.5 minutes   East)

Note: tan⁻¹= inverse tan or tan to the minus power one   
    cos⁻¹= inverse cos or cos written to the minus power of one

Quote:
For those that understand trigonometry, the formula is its own explantion. For those that don't, there are online and downloadable calculators that perform the calculations for you. We have one here at https://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
Others can be found with https://www.google.com/search?q=calculate+azimuth+elevation&sourceid=navclient-f...

//greg//

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 11:03pm  
I can only speculate. Perhaps your error is related to using DMS (degree/minute/second) coordinates, rather than decimal. Try again using 25.295 for your latitude, and 51.508333 for your longitude

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

koke1234
★★

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 12:26am  

Dear Sir

I tried to solve the formula as your directing also I have got a wrrong results if you can solve it and inform me I will be gratefull because i am trying to find the shortest way to calculate the azimuth and elevation with out using the programes on the internet because most of the installers do not have internet on the field and we can help each other in solving many problems so if you can send the theorem of this formula by details so we can find the problem also i will send to you if you want a very simple program on Excel you can calculate what ever you want that if you want any way my email is :
kghazzawi@gmail.com

Quote:
I can only speculate. Perhaps your error is related to using DMS (degree/minute/second) coordinates, rather than decimal. Try again using 25.295 for your latitude, and 51.508333 for your longitude

//greg//

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 5:29am  
If you have a device that will resolve antenna pointing angles with Excel in th field, then they should also be able to use a downloadable calculator. Or do you expect these installers to calculate every installation in longhand?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 8:26am  
This mini screen dish pointing calculator sf.htm is intended to work on hand held PC devices and has pull down menus for all inputting.

It is a web page with embedded javascript, like all my other calculators, but this one has a small area screen display. You access the web page once, via the internet, and then save a copy of the page locally. I would be interested to know how users make the pull down menus work. You need the equivalent of a mouse pointer and enter key. I have not updated the list of satellites for some time.

An older dish pointing calculator palmos.htm needs a numerical keypad for entering data.

My dish pointing pages that use Google maps to help you find your latitude and longitide do not work offline. You must be connected to the internet to get to the map images. The main dish calculator page ssazelm.htm has a too large a display for a small hand held device and contains °adverts, which may cause problems offline.

Best regards, ⁻¹Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1