Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

3000 series loses signal in the morning

(Read 6889 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:03pm  
every morning our system shuts down at some point and will not recieve signal for about 3 hours then randomly boots up and is fine. It does this everyday for some reason. I have tried contacting my service provider but they dont seem to know whats going on and i cant understand him very well because he is a local national in afghanistan(im currently deployed). It never seemed to do this until we had a bad storm, could it be the signal strength? I have ISite but i dont know the password and my service provider has no idea about any password. we purchased the system from the previous group and they never had any problems with it supposedly. any ideas? does anyone have any way of finding out the password for the router so i can check the signal and other settings? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

eric
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:46pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 10:19pm  
Wow, so many variables...

How long has this been going on?

can you telnet to the 3100? 

Command prompt
telnet [IP ADDRESS]

admin
P@55w0rd!

(if it works they are still using the default pws)

If you can get to a prompt in telnet run a rmtstat command against it starting about one hour prior to your observed outage.  Please share those stats with me/us.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 12:00pm  
thanks TDMAMike. this has been going on for about two weeks now. I tried telnet using the default username/password and it would not let me access.

IP Logged

doselk
★★

Liberia
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 12:56pm  
I think u should try the default passwork P@55w0rd! or iDirect and that does not work you should use a console to connect to the modem.

YIM  
IP Logged

aih007
★★

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 2:31pm  
ok try  write first USER  and password iDirect
mr TDMA  i was face like broplem , and can't solve it.
and dont understant do this command   rmtstat
pelase you can help me

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 1:55pm  
yeah... the default password(s) are not working. can someone explain how to connect to the modem with a console?

IP Logged

tunde300us
★★★

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:23pm  
if the default password(s) rent working then u will need to reset it.I am sure MIKE can help with that cos there is a  procedure that needs to be followed so that u dont damage ur modem.There is a reset  password procedure from idirect that u can use but u have to be sure u know how to go about it.
All the best

IP Logged

Lukio
★★

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 3:24pm  
Quote:
every morning our system shuts down at some point and will not recieve signal for about 3 hours then randomly boots up and is fine.

eric

Hey dude...you say you lose RX lock for three hours at a time in the morning?  Could it be local interference?  Do you know of any systems that have been installed locally that may be causing problems?  Have a check in the surrounding area to see if any other antennas, masts, dishes etc have been put up.

It would be good to console into your NM with HyperTerminal (on a standard Windows build PC).  You will need a blue Cisco style console cable...do you have one?  If you do connect the cable to the Console port on the NM, open a HT session with the following settings:

Open HT and give the session a name e.g. NM3100
Then under 'Connect Using' select COM1
Click Ok
Use these settings:
Bits Per Second - 9600
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bits - 1
Flow Control - None

Click 'Apply' then 'Ok' and when you are in the HT window hit enter a couple of times.  You should be prompted for the username.  This is usually 'root'.  Hit enter and the password is usually 'iDirect'.  You should then get a # prompt.  Here, type 'telnet 0'.  You will now get a prompt to log into the NM.  Username here is usually 'admin' and the password is either 'P@55w0rd!' or 'iDirect' unless your HNO has changed it.

If you get this far post back and I'll give you some commands.  If you get stuck post back and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck ;.)

Lukio
The use these settings

IP Logged

ahmelect
★★★

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:41pm  
Hi TDMA,

what is the purpose of this command "rmtstat" ?

&&Ahmed&&Dar Al-Hikma
YIM  
IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 9:42pm  
It provides the user with statistical data coming from the modem such as:

Lat/Long
Downstream SNR (C/N)
Tx Power
RxPower
Temp
COF
TDM Lost
FLLDAC
Downstream SCPC errors

If something is going on with your system, that command will help you hunt for the problem (tx side, or receive side)

IP Logged

aih007
★★

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 5:40pm  
plase give me the command for do with hyper terminal
and there are bounded number for  Lat/Long
Downstream SNR (C/N)
Tx Power
RxPower
Temp
COF
TDM Lost
FLLDAC
Downstream SCPC errors  ?
for i know there are problem
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2008 at 9:08am by aih007 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 12:42am  
What are you wanting to do in hyperterm?

IP Logged

sb
★★

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 9:11am  
Hello Eric,

even if your provider has changed the password on your remote you can still check your SNR using isite.

make sure you connect the modem directly to a computer using a cross cable.
then open your isite program on the computer, by default it should automatically see your remote with its IP address,
just right click on that icon in isite where your IP address appears, 
scroll down to SETTINGS AND STATISTICS
then click VIEW

a window comes up where u have several parameters amongs which you have RX SNR,
that will help you identify if the problem is due to signal loss

remember you donot need to disconnect you RX and TX cable while doing this.

i hope this helps

Regards
sb

sbemabino@yahoo.com

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 5:57pm  
First, you need to find out who your network operator is, and I don't mean the local guy who sold the system; I mean the network operator who owns the iDirect hub.  Insist that your local contact provide you with this information and contact their NOC. 

If he won't tell you, then try running a traceroute to a site on the Internet and look at the first hop to see if it provides enough information (i.e. go to a Command Prompt window and type "tracert www.yahoo.com" and see what information is provided for the first hop.  There may be a name identifying the router.  If not, you may be able to get more information by trying a "whois" on the IP address of the first hop:

https://tools.whois.net/whoisbyip/

Once you figure out who your network operator is, you should be able to get some support from them.  If they won't support you, switch to a new network operator.  Your operator should also give you the passwords to your system. 

Several people have discussed some of the potential problems here.  If this began after a big storm there is a good chance your dish was blown out of alignment and the peaking is marginal.  Working with the NOC to ensure a good alignment and cross-pol will eliminate that issue.

Satellites do not sit still in orbit, they move in a figure "8" and if you are aligned at the far end of the "8" then you may fall out of the service as the satellite moves to the other end of the "8."  I wouldn't expect this to be so predictable as to happen at the same time every morning though.  However the first place to start is to ensure that you are properly pointed. 

Carefully check the feed horn for any moisture.  I recall a site in Africa where it would cool off every morning causing humidity to condense inside the feed horn.  As it heated up, the moisture would evaporate and the system would start working again.  Another site in Africa had birds that would roost on the dish and their weight would move it out of alignment.

Interference can also be a problem.  A site in Mosul, Iraq had a similar problem when they turned on the Radar used to detect incoming rounds.  Is there a generator or something else that fires up during this period?  A bandpass filter can fix this.  Your network operator should be able to supply this or help direct you to a supplier.  They will know what frequencies your system uses so the correct filter can be ordered to filter out the interference.

The critical thing here is to gain access to the network operator who is actually delivering the service.  A "good" service provider who resells a network operator's service is worth his weight in gold, as they can assist with LAN problems, wireless technologies, PC issues, DHCP, bandwidth management and a host of other things.  A poor service provider who is simply reselling the network operator's service, who has no specific expertise, and who brings no value-add can be a hindrance as you are discovering - particularly if they prevent you from reaching the network operator's NOC for support.

IP Logged

Oasis Networks
★★★

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:45am  
Also it is suggested to check if the source for this problem is sun outages. It depends on the bird and on the lcoation of your station and the location of the hub, but generally, we are in sun outage period now.

www.oasisnetworks.net - Oasis Networks - Online with you!
IP Logged

Pages: 1