Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

can i allow and disallow IP from modem

(Read 2867 times)
aih007
★★

Apr 3rd, 2008 at 11:31am  
I have modem iDirect 3100 but I want know  can do allow IP or disallow from modem by TELNET

and face me  problem I can not open page for browse but I see on iSite HTTP trafic up , and do restart for my PC  and same not fixed  plz you help me

IP Logged

pgannon
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 5:03pm  
I'm not sure I understand your question. 

If you can't browse, you should be working with your network operator's NOC (network operations center) to troubleshoot the problem.  You are better off not trying to make any changes to the modem yourself via telnet or iSite as most changes need to be mirrored on the hub at the teleport.

IP Logged

aih007
★★

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 10:01am  
thank you PAGNNON  for reply but i can not enable or disable for IP (I have 5 IP's I want 3 ip's only work) I can do that on modem iDirect

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 2:54pm  
I think this may be to do with the subnet mask on the LAN side of the modem.  If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.248 there are 8 IP addresses involved (first is the LAN name, second the modem gateway, 3rd to 7th are available and last is the multicast). Note that this makes 5 IP addresses available for PCs on the LAN.

Is there some way the modem can be told to block two of these ?

The above assumes that aih007 has a passive hub to expand the one etherent socket to allow several PCs to be connnected.

If a switch is attached and it has a management capability it may be possible to block IP addresses in the switch.

If a router is attached then only one IP address from the modem is needed and the router can create new LAN IP addresses.  The router will need to be programmed to block some IP addresses if there is a requirement for only 3 specific IP addresses to be useable on the LAN.

Mask 255.255.255.252 gives 1 useable IP addresses.
Mask 255.255.255.248 gives 5 useable IP addresses.
Mask 255.255.255.240 gives 13 useable IP addresses.
Mask 255.255.255.224 gives 29 useable IP addresses.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

TTnC_pyr8
★★

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:29pm  
if your netmask is in the low numbers like  below x.x.x.254 then you will have several ips to you. Sounds like you already have a big enough subnet if you are already getting the 5 ips you want/dont want. If that is the case, just change the DCHP block, specifically this  spot dhcp_lease_range = 45.45.45.2-45.45.45.5 and make the range whatever you want, your only limit is the netmask from ETH0. save and reload opt file.
[ETH0_1]
     address = 45.45.45.1
     netmask = 255.255.255.128
     rip_enabled = 0
[DHCP_1]
     dhcp_mode = 1
     dhcp_lease_seconds = 43200
     dhcp_lease_range = 45.45.45.2-45.45.45.5
     dhcp_dns_server_ip = any dns server
     dhcp_dns_server2_ip = any dns server
     dhcp_gateway_ip = modem ip

Innate RF Trickery

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:40pm  
Hi aih007,
Could you please let us know exactly what it is you need? 
you cannot really allow or disallow IP from the telnet prompt, you can manipulate the options file to create filters that will allow or disallow certain IP ranges for sure.

If you have the problem as described with the IP subnet covering only 5 addresses then manipulating this locally will more than likely cause more issues as someone else from the same hub will have the next subnet up or down. 
remember any changes you make in the configuration of your modem will show at the hub location as the NMS will notice a change and report that to the hub operator.  they will then more than likely load your modem with the configuration file they have which will negate the change you have made.  Let me know precisely what you want to achieve....do you want to allow specific IP addresses or do you want to block them?  Do you want more IP addresses to be able to access the system? 
when i have a clear idea of what you need I can advise you what to go to the provider and instruct them you need.

thanks

IP Logged

Pages: 1