Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

INTERMITTENT LOSS OF SIGNAL

(Read 5512 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 8th, 2008 at 10:44pm  
Hi Wizards,

I have a Sky dish and receive Sky and Setanta. When I am getting a reception the system test shows Signal Strength at approx. 80% and Signal Quality at approx. 90%. When it is working it is fine. However, the picture comes and goes. It can be okay for several weeks then it can be off and on all night then it can be off for several hours. There is no pattern to it at all. The dish is well fixed, there are no obstructions and the weather is definitely not a factor. It is a mystery. Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Jim

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 11:47pm  
I'd start by inspecting the cable run for damage, and EVERY cable connection for tightness/moisture/corrosion

What happens to signal strength and quality when the picture GOES?

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 6:06pm  
I have intermittent loss of signal which gets worse in rain and wind.
There is a tall tree at least 50feet away from the dish but in part line of sight.
Before I pay to have the tree removed, is it reasonable to assume that this might be the problem.
I only have the problem on the weaker signal stations.

IP Logged

NotesConsultants
★★

Spain
Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:07pm  
As already pointed out by USN check everything mechanical and remake cable connections and waterproof. If still a problem look at you LNB, perhaps another type may provide a slightly stronger signal.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:29pm  
Quote:
Before I pay to have the tree removed, is it reasonable to assume that this might be the problem..
It is reasonable to state that trees CAN block line of site. But it is not reasonable for any of us to say that the tree is in fact your problem. I don't think either you or the tree would like it if we were wrong.

Perhaps moving the dish would represent a reasonable compromise

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Pages: 1