Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

polar mount main axis angle

(Read 8834 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:40am  
Dear people of the satsig forum.
My name is Sebastian from the Netherlands and this is my polar mount.

(original image file https://www.jol-oudieplas.info/polarmount.jpg )

Normally I would ask the dutch sat4all board for help, but it seems all the  knowledge is gone. Most people use diseqc motors over here. The big plate on the back is a convertor plate I made. The polar mount is used  for a 1.2 echostar dish, but it has a  strange problem I think a have the wrong feed arms (to short) so a made this to fit my channelmaster. I believe if done it right, center of the dish is correct.

I’am trying to setup a 1.2 channel master offset dish, this is my first polar mount 36v motor setup. I can setup a diseqc motor in a few minutes but this thing I can’t figure out.

I have read your “Setting up a polar mount satellite dish - offset feed dish” But Iám afraid it’s over my head and I hope you can help.

I need to know my polar mount main axis angle. My declination angle I always figure out by moving the dish up and down, watching the signal and BER levels on a sat receiver. But if you can give me the right angle I will be most pleased Wink

This is my data I have so far :

Latitude = 52.6297, Longitude = 4.8560
Lat    = 52 degrees,   37.8 minutes   North
Long = 4 degrees,   51.4 minutes   East
If you want to point a satellite TV dish at Satellite= 5.1 East orbit longitude
Dish elevation= 29.9, Azimuth= 180.9 (magnetic compass), Polarisation= -0.2

We use Sirius at 5 east to find the south its really handy.

Your program gives me the following data :
Satellite orbit 5.1
Site latitude 526297
Site longitude 4.8560
Dish Azimuth ( true north)  179.69
Dish Azimuth (magnetic north) 180.86
Disk elevation 29.86
Slant range 38626.92
Polarization till -0.19
Polar main axis angel 53.3
Polar mount dish offset till 6.86
Hope you can help me with my angle numbers.

Kind Regards Sebastian
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:41am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:35am  
Main polar axis angle
Your main axis angle is about 60 deg.  This is too large. Reduce to 53.3 deg.

Small downward tilt (declination) angle
Achieved by making C larger than A.

Measure lengths A and B

Assuming the size of the L shaped metal brackets cancels the dish offset angle...
I see that A and C are presently the same, so your downward dish tilt is now zero deg.   You need to lengthen C or shorten A, so that C is longer than A

Note tan(6.86) = 0.12 = opposite/ adjacent

C = B* tan (tilt) + A
C = B * 0.12 + A

Work this out and then adjust distance C.  I think you need to do this in two places. Make the same adjustment on each side.

Any problems, come back here.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 12:35am  
The first thing I did was to put a small metal plate on my main axis.

The only thing I could get my hands on was a geo triangle, the metal plate on the back of the geo showed my disk angle. It was something like 57 dec. I changed it back to 53.

Then I put the declination angel down till I got the best signal on my digisat pro. I know I have to measured  it but I wanted to try it out this way first.
The signal on Sirius was about 96% on my signal meter before, but now I only got 70% max.

I was confused so I took my topfield 5000 with me on the roof and looked at the Bit Error Rate. And it was good. 100%. I turned the disk manually using a commodore 64 joystick en turned it to  Turksat 1c @45 dec E. made a very small adjustment to the declination angle.  Turned it to hispasat @ 30 dec w and the quality of the signal was still 100%

Still I have the feeling I did something wrong. Did I put the 0 on the geo triangle at the correct location?

Why is the Digisat pro signal meter telling me the signal strength is down by 20%

All with All, it was a useful day, it a lot better now.

Thanks for helping me.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2015 at 5:20pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1