Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Signal strength

(Read 4869 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 29th, 2008 at 4:28am  
I have been using a DW6000 with DirecWay (formerly) for a few years now. It seems like it's gotten slower and slower each year but that's not the reason for my post. Due to heavy snow the building on which my antenna was installed collapsed a couple months ago. It kept working after we plumbed the wall it was mounted on and braced it temporarily. I finally moved the antenna permanently to a new building today as they began demolishing the old one. I would have hired a technician but $300 just to repoint (I already installed the tri-mount and wiring) and even then it would be 3 days before he could get to it. Sorry I know some of you are installers but that is way too much. The new site is about 60' from the old one.

I've got it working by following tips on this forum. I peaked it by moving the edge of the dish 1/8 inch at a time, first Az and EL and then Pol. I repeated each peaking step a few times to make sure but the best signal strength I can get is 66. I'm wondering if this is normal or should I expect to get something better than this? The system seems like it's working normally. The sky has been clear blue all day and there are no trees or buildings in the way.

I am located in Thetford, VT 05075 USA, Lat43.8610 Long-72.2626. Using satellite 99 West, receive Freq 1110 MHz. I printed the system info before moving but I can't remember my previous signal strength.

What should I expect for signal strength up here and will 66 degrade quickly in rain and snow? Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:01am  
You're right, 66 is a bit lower than predicted. Hughes says an installer should go to your site equipped with these numbers:
RSL min 45  (dropout)
RSL nom 86 (lowest he should leave customer with)      
RSL max 95  (theoretical)
ACP min 50  (dropout)
ISO min 25  (as seen from your NOC)

And unless considerable mileage is involved, $300 is highway robbery. For a simple repoint - no other labor involved - I'd expect to pay $60-$75

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2008 at 5:51am  
Quote:
And unless considerable mileage is involved, $300 is highway robbery. For a simple repoint - no other labor involved - I'd expect to pay $60-$75

//greg//

The guy got a little annoyed when I suggested it was too much. He's 30 min away but I see his truck in this neighborhood frequently. I could probably find someone closer and cheaper but it's working - just with low signal strength. I fear what will happen when the weather is bad.

Is there anything you might recommend to improve the RSL?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1