Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect satellite pointing issue

(Read 2825 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:24am  
Hi every body:
iam using idrect 3000 satellite router with 1.2m directway dish my problem start few weeks ago .my problem is that my satellite neeed alot time to connect (1-4hours) but today it never connect and the net and rx is flashing amber all the day so i login to the router using isite 7.1.1 and i found that there is network
and i go to the antenna pointing page to see the signal stength and i found it about .30000. so i suspect that may be the dish is moved away so i go to the roof but ifound the dish is in the right postion . and i dont know why that is happening take in mind that new this satellite issues. and i have very limeted tools (compass and konig satellite finder ) but have no ideas how to use it specially this satellite finder .so i think it better to consult the big experts so please help me guys .and take in mind that iam in sudan and there no technical guys there to seek help from.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 11:53am  
Your network connection (as observed) is strictly between your client and the iDirect (the gateway).  With the Rx and Net light flashing amber you have no network connectivity beyond that.

If you have no RX your LNB or its associated cabling could be faulty.  That or you are poorly pointed (even though it appears to me on azimuth, it may not be).   Suggest you look there before proceeding.   

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 9:26am  
yah i think that right i double check the antenna and i found out that the installation is missed up so i adjust the polarization iam measure the signal and it now brcomes 2.0000 which for me is am improvment .so now iknow it pointing issue but to do that i need to know something i log to the router and found this information
elevation:true
offset: 17
and also notice
elevation acutal:21.25
azmiuth true: 102
polarization: -72.80
so iam confused between this number what to use in my antenna aligment.and should i adjust the elevation first r what.
so please in need some help

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 11:46am  
The procedure for finding a satellite is:

Find out the nominal polarisation name of the downlink.
Find your lat/long and satellite location.
Tune your modem to the specified frequency and symbol rate.

Calculate the polarisation, elevation and azimuth angles.

Set the polarisation to nominal angle.  Then adjust the polarisation by the amount calculated.

Set the elevation angle.    If there is an elevation scale on the mount use it.   If not, in your case the front face of the dish should slope 21.25 deg backwards.  If you don't have an inclinometer measure the vertical diameter of the dish and multiply by 0.3624  answer = X cm.  Note sin(21.25) = 0.3624     Dangle a weight on a string in front of the dish so the string just touches at the front bottom rim.  Adjust the elevation till the gap in front at the top measures X.

Then swing the dish boldly in azimuth and you will find the satellite on the first swing.  The modem will lock up and RX LED will come on.  Spend at least 30 minutes peaking up.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1