Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Tooway: URL mismatch

(Read 9624 times)
mark_bk
★★

Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:34am  
For general info: A couple of KU band end users are experiencing problems accessing some web pages via Tooway.

The errors include but are not limited to re-direction to other websites, unable to load pages, page/domain does not exist.

Needless to say testing revealed that the same pages/sites are accessible via other means - landline internet and Gilat/StarBlazer systems.

Problems have been reported to BW and in turn Eutelsat, who are currently looking at the problem.

If any of your end-users report similar issues please pass on to the provider/Eutelsat to encourage them to get this issue resolved for everyones benefit.

Regards
Mark

IP Logged

ChasN
★★

Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2008 at 5:54pm  
Hi Mark

Can people manually select the DNS Servers to resolve the problem?

&&Thanks&&&&ChasN

IP Logged

NotesConsultants
★★

Spain
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 12:17am  
We have installed Ka Tooway without noticing any problems until recently when one customer has problems accessing certain URL's. The issue is real and has been passed to Bentley Walker where I'm told Eutelsat have accepted and understood the problem as being an internal problem with their own internal routing and are working to resolve, although the issue has been reported for at least 2 weeks now without a resolution to date.

Some more details are on https://notesconsultants.bttradespace.com/ViewPost.aspx?ID=18

Paul Harrison
Spain Mobile :  + 34 687 256 240
UK Land Line: + 44 1252 560018
Email : Paul.Harrison@NotesConsultants.co.uk
Tooway : https://www.NotesConsultants.bttradespace.com
Star Blazer : https://www.NotesConsultants.co.uk
-

IP Logged

Sean_Williams
★★

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 11:23am  
I'm interested to note that you guys say the Tooway system is both fast and reliable.
This is not our experience (Wales) where for the past five weeks we have been struggling to get either a fast or reliable service (the disc setup has been tested and confirmed as spot-on btw)

Could you be more specific about what you consider fast (particularly the response time to a request for a web page) and reliable?

Thanks
Sean

IP Logged

NotesConsultants
★★

Spain
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:46pm  
Quote:
I'm interested to note that you guys say the Tooway system is both fast and reliable.
This is not our experience (Wales) where for the past five weeks we have been struggling to get either a fast or reliable service (the disc setup has been tested and confirmed as spot-on btw)

Could you be more specific about what you consider fast (particularly the response time to a request for a web page) and reliable?

Thanks
Sean

The old saying is page is too slow to load if the user thinks its slow. Times are hard to get as time of day, a particular server load, local PC conditions etc.
When I install Tooway its advisable to clear the cache as a minimum in your browser, then pages should load faster.
In IE, I've noticed that its not good to use tabs, when I switch this off and open indivual IE windows the CPU usage drops from 100% to 50-60%.

On the whole with a download average speed of 1900kbps Tooway should serve up pages in a comfortable time, and perhaps some other issues are affecting your browsing experience.

I spend a fair time peaking up the dishes and I know I get them as good as can be, large ping times in excess of an average of 1000ms usually mean the dish could do with aligning better.

If you like, see how long it takes using your Tooway connection to open my web site home page https://www.notesconsultants.bttradespace.com say 3 times a day over a couple of days and record the times here, I'll do the same on my Tooway and perhaps others on Tooway can do likewise so we can all use the same site and gather some data which might be helpful.

Paul
https://www.notesconsultants.bttradespace.com

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 11:00pm  
i find this very interesting because i too have the same problem. slow web surfing problems.
my system however is not a tooway but a starcom. it is going through w6 (skylogic which i believe is owned by eutelsat?)

i would love to find a solution because when i was on am22 (a U.K. hub --dont know who) the web surfing was 100 times better.

i have reported this behavior to BW but it seems like they're not exactly grasping the problem and are just "brushing it off".

I really am at a loss as this is a real issue for me and as i can see other people on other systems are also suffering.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 4:34pm  
I just tried the Notes Consultants webpage as Paul mentioned . It took 12 seconds to appear. Time is 16.10pm UK time on 29 Sept.
Think broadband registered my current speeds as 1728 down and 222 upload.  These speeds seem to have improved very recently (for me anyway!)
I am in Wales and using Tooway.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 5:23pm  
may i ask what you guys are paying for these great speeds?

for some reason it seems we are paying an arm and a leg for such little bandwidth+speed

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 6:36pm  
I am on the basic package with Tooway. Apparently the speeds don't vary between packages just the monthly download allowance - which I think is 2GB per rolling month for me.

The Tooway Bronze package which is currently on the BW website at about 49.90 euros per month (plus 17.5% vat).

I will say however that today and very recently  the speeds have had a noticeable improvement as I have been raising the download speed/ lag with BW for some time deperate for an improvement. I am hoping that today is not a one off and that something has been fixed .

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 7:58pm  
that actually sounds pretty good to me. they give you 2gig or whatever plan allowance you choose then you get to finish it at max speed. no throttle or any annoyance. thats what i have been hammering bw about. looks like they are doing this with tooway.

time to start talking to them again about this and hope they do this for starcom (idirect systems)

IP Logged

NotesConsultants
★★

Spain
Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 11:36pm  
Tooway is good but not the same as the other more expensive options. This is for a reason (or two).
Tooway is not assigned a fixed IP address, its dynamic so VPN will not work, VPN does on almost all fixed IP systems.
Voip is not supported on Tooway, it is on other systems.
However, Tooway is good at browsing (some URL problems aside, which I am sure will be fixed) and for email, good volumes compared with the other packages for the price.

BTW, we also supply Tooway for 49 euros a month on Bronze.

Regards

Paul
+34 687 256 240
+44 1252 560018
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2014 at 11:20am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1