Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

NSS 6 Signals in Riyadh

(Read 8181 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:43pm  
Dear Memebers,

I want to install DISH TV satellite antenna at my roof top. I would like to know if it is possible to recieve the signals from my location, whereas the DISH TV is only beamed to india.
I have searched a lot over internet, some people says it will work, some says don't.
Can some one from this forum suggest me what to do? and how to do?. My location is below.

According to Google earth i have found the following data to connect to NSS 6 satellite.

Longitutde: 46.73

Satellite data:  95.0E NSS 6
Distance: 38641 km

Dish Setup Data: Elevation: 29.7 deg
Azimuth (true): 110.4 deg
Azimuth (magn): 107.8 deg
LNB Skew: -58.4 deg

Can some one please help me?

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:58pm  
I won't say it's impossible. But this footprint ( https://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/nss6_india.html ) suggest you'd need no less than a 2 meter dish. Perhaps as large as 3 meters

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:10pm  
See the NSS6 coverages here: https://www.newskies.com/nss6coverage.htm
You are in the Middle East beam and not covered by the India beam.

See here for satellite TV programs on NSS6:  https://www.lyngsat.com/nss6.html
DishTV is shown as being only in the India coverage beam.   As Greg says it is unlikely that you will see much as you will be in the very weak outer contours of the India beam - but you may be lucky particularly with a big dish. The published coverage maps are often 'conservative' and the actual coverages may be wider than indicated and also more powerful than indicated.  Contracted specified coverages are smaller to allow for satellite beam pointing error (typically +/-0.1 deg in pitch and roll) and the power levels relate to the expected end of life status - when the satellite is perhaps 15 years old.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:29pm  
thanks all for your great support. I will try to use a big one and see if i have any luck. Some one told me that they are using DISH TV in Dubai.

Do you know what kind of LNB i should use to get the good quality signals. Also does the color of dish really matters in quality.

IP Logged

USN - Retired
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Kentucky (USA)
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 7:50pm  
In layman terms, color = noise, so white is best. White will also reflect the least heat back into the LNB.

As to the LNB, whatever is sold in India as the "local" LNB will do fine. The important thing to note before committing to one particular LNB, is that it is compatible with the LNB mount at the end of the satellite dish feedarm. A bad fit will negatively affect your reception

//greg//

USN (Ret)

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:55pm  
White colour for the dish helps keep the dish cool and thus reduces the tendency of dishes to deform in the heat. This is particularly relevent to plastic dishes.

It is important that the paint is matt and non-reflective, otherwise the reflected heat can easily melt or burn the feed window and overheat the LNB assembly.

If you are contemplating a 2.4m or 3m dish, note that surface accuracy is a serious issue.  If the dish is made up of several panels, make sure the panels line up perfectly and that the dish rim is flat to <2mm.  

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1