Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

iDirect link unstable

(Read 9193 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 6th, 2008 at 3:06pm  
Dear Eric and all friends,

I have installed an Idirect system  with a 1.2m antenna,Buc=3Watts,Infinity 3000 IDU,and a links 512/128kbps on NSS7.The link is very instable and the ping time is around 600 ms.another issue is the fact that when looking at the front panel of the Indoor unit Infinity 3000 ,there is a green led on the Tx,Rxand Net;But the SATUS led is Off.
But what can cause a link to be so instable it comes and goes,the ping delay is to much 600 ms to ping yahoo.com and sometimes despite the ping response,the clients can not open their web pages...
Help me please.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:30am by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:48am  
Regarding the iDirect Infiniti 3000 front panel LED display this table will help:

The later x3 evolution series are a little different see below:

You say your Status was off.  This seems abnormal for a 3000 series modem.  Check with your service provider in case a new software download has modified the status display meaning.

Regarding instability, it would help to clarify if the problem is with the rx/tx satellite signal levels or with the traffic routing/congestion etc.

On your receive side you say the RX LED is green.  Is it green all of the time ?  Does the iSite receive quality voltage vary a great deal ?  Does the voltage drop at times and does the RX LED go to yellow or off ?   If you have receive problems then check the LNB cable connections and dish pointing.

On your transmit side your service provider hub needs to measure your transmit TDMA burst carrier and carefully measure and record the -1 dB compression point of your BUC and allow the system to back off your transmit level in clear sky conditions to the correct level.  If you are slightly mispointed on receive you will be badly mispointed on transmit, since the transmit beam is narrower.  Your hub can also investigate any interference that may be affecting your transmit path, cross-pol, adjacent carrier, wrong timed overlapping bursts etc.

If the receive and transmit radio paths are both good then unstable service may be due to traffic routing, software configuration, congestion etc.  This is an IT problem.  Ask your hub for help.  Have  just a single PC temporarily connected directly to your modem to eliminate possible problems inside your LAN if you have your own router and multiple PCs.

A 600mS ping time sounds quite normal to me. I would be concerned if a significant number of the pings were a second or more or were timing out and getting lost.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 12:42pm  
Echoing what Eric said, 600ms is quite normal for a round trip time (RTT) via satellite.

When you say your link is unstable, how are you arriving at that assessment?  Is the Tx coming unlocked?  Losing Recieve lock? (do your TX, RX, or NET LEDs go out at times?)

What iDS version?  If it is an iNFINITI remote and you are iDS 7.X and above your status light will be off (if on, it is indicative of being part of a TRANSEC network).

IP Logged

dot
★★★

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:30pm  
iDirect software releases after 7.1.something change the way the Status LED is used, it is now off for normal operation and indicates Link Encryption when on. So the indicator status has no relevance here.

Also a 600ms ping to a webserver on the internet is very good, so no problem there either.

IP Logged

Space
★★★

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:40pm  
Did you get a solution to this problem ,

If problem still persists kindly talk to me  on  Msn. Signal@space.co.ke and you can email me on  the same mail . We can troubleshoot  this  tongether.

WWW | YIM  
IP Logged

Darkside
★★

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 9:19am  
Hi Eric, just one update. The meaning of the status light has changed. I cannot remember the exact software revision but will look it up if you want to know.

See below:

STATUS GREEN - The IDU is functioning properly in TRANSEC mode.
OFF -  The IDU is functioning properly in non-TRANSEC mode.
FLASHING GREEN - The unit is booting. The DRAM test is in progress.
RED -  Indicates a serious fault or failure in the software,
hardware or configuration. May indicate that the DRAM
test failed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1