Telnet, iDirect and dish aiming

(Read 4131 times)
Liquid_glass
★★

Nov 19th, 2008 at 11:26am  
Okay.
I have TS2 for an ISP.
I have telnet access to the modem.
I have used your cal to get the basics down.
I am trying to hit Intelsat 901 18W from 34.924N  43.404E
I am using iSite 8.0x
iDirect 3100 modem
I have had to backdoor the guide that iSite offers.
Through a pattern of searching for a horizontal peak, vertical peak, and polarization peak, then repeating, I can still only get a value of about 2.42999 on telnet.
When I reset the modem though the telnet went back to .300
I restarted the modem and telnet, with the result of .3 again.  is this baseline? or is there an error?

What I am wondering is on telnet if I am locked on to the satellite  should I be getting the same 12v+ reading as the iSite would have shown?
 What other items should I see? ie. lights on modem, console.

Thank you for your help and all the effort your team has done.  I appreciate it here in Iraq.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2008 at 12:50pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 12:36pm  
Telnet is not a good mechanism to search for voltage.  What command are you using in telnet?  

Have you confirmed that your downlink center freq falls within the specs of your LNB (read: do you have the proper LNB mounted on your system to see your carrier?).  

If you are limited in resources, iSite is the recommend method to hunt for voltage.  It is a bit painful, but when you have little to work with, it is probably your best COA.  Also, ensure that you disconnect your tx cable (IDU to BUC) when using iSite to hunt for voltage.  

If you can confirm that have the proper LNB, you are POLed corectly,  and the LNB does have power, the only recommendation I have for you is to keep looking.  I know it can be painful.  

M

IP Logged

Liquid_glass
★★

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 11:34am  
I am only logged into the modem on telnet.  when the antenna pointing tool is open telnet reads voltages?

I gave my carrier the lnb info prior to them giving me an opt file for the modem, but I did not check.

I am poled at 51+ (turned counter-clockwise when facing dish from behind feed.)

How do I test the lnb for power?
Should it not have power if telnet returns readings?

Thank you again

IP Logged

Liquid_glass
★★

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:57pm  
TY for your help.

talked to TS2 and we decided on a new sat with a higher elevation.   With your calc and the new opt file it was in the 14's right off the bat.
Thank you for all your help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1