Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

cannot get into modem

(Read 3334 times)
rsffighter17
★★

Dec 17th, 2008 at 5:10am  
I was just wondering if anyone has had problems getting into a linkstar vsat modem with windows vista.  I can't even ping the hardwired ip address.  Can anyone please shed some light on the subject? 

Thank you,

rsffighter17

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 1:16pm  
The modem needs to be offline for its default IP address to be active (Warning: disconnect coax cables while the mains power is off and never get the coax cables crossed over).

Check that you are calculating the gateway IP address correctly.  Note that the last three hex pairs of the MAC matter.   In Vista, you can convert from hex to decimal using the lower left Start Icon, All Programs, Accessories, Calculator, View, Scientific.  For example MAC=0E.00.01.03.1A.F3 gives IP=10.3.26.243    Set the PC network interface with a different IP (e.g. 10.3.26.244) and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Use a magnifing glass to read the MAC address if the printing is poor.

Use a cross-over ethernet cable direct between the modem and the PC, or use a hub and two straight cables.  Try a different ethernet cable.

Try a different PC.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 4:31pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

vlewis2237
★★

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:49pm  
I have seen this happen a few times and most of the time it is the Windows Vista firewall that is blocking it.

Turn the firewall off and try it again.

Vince

IP Logged

Pages: 1