Pages: 1

iDirect 3100 CORRUPT IMAGES

(Read 6874 times)
philtronix
★★

Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:11am  
Dear iDirect users,
I have a problem with my 3100 modem.
The image got corrupted after an option file upgrade and i am not able to access the "root" and "iDirect" interface.
The following is the message i get once i power up the modem:

DRAM Test      ................
DRAM Test Successful
+... waiting for BOOTP information
Ethernet eth0: MAC address 00:60:43:00:00:00
Can't get BOOTP info for device!

RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
release, version "iDirect 1.1" - built 16:16:40, Apr 29 2005

Platform: iDirect iDS Platform (XScale)
Copyright (C) 2004, 2005  iDirect Technologies, Inc.

Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

RAM: 0x00000000-0x10000000, [0x0001c540-0x01fd1000] available
FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x51000000, 128 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
RedBoot>

Please help me. The ISP can't help!!!
I can be reached on this forum or on skype: phil.chilombo.
Regards,

IP Logged

willtek
★★

Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 11:18am  
Use procedures for reloading an options
file:

service idirect_falcon stop

Ensure you have a good options file. The options file MUST match the Serial  Number of the modem you are trying to recover!!!!!!!!!

RELOADING THE OPTIONS FILE WHEN YOU CANNOT GAIN IP  CONNECTIVITY TO YOUR NETMODEM  
If you do not have IP connectivity to your NetModem, you can reload your options file by performing the
following procedure.  
Perform the following steps to reload the options file when you cannot gain IP
connectivity to your modem:  
1.  Open a known good options file in a text editor (i.e., NotePad) and copy all of the
text to the Windows clipboard. The options file MUST match the Serial Number of
the modem you are trying to install or recover.  
2.  From the console, change your location to the options file directory by entering the
command:  
cd /etc/idirect/falcon/  
3.  Rename the current options file by entering the following command:  
mv falcon.opt falcon.opt.old  
4.  Type the following command:  
cat > falcon.opt  
5.  Paste the text that you previously copied (in step 1) to the console session, by right-
clicking the mouse button and pasting to the Host.  
6.  Press the Enter key once, then press Ctrl-D to exit.  
7.  Examine the contents of falcon.opt file to ensure there are no extra characters by
entering:  
cat falcon.opt  
8.  Reboot or switch of power modem

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:08pm  
I dont think the above will work as he is not making it to falcon (in the boot seq). 

Question: What kind of error (if any) does the unit render when you type: fis load linux

When dealing with a problem at the linux level your options are very limited.  Be prepared to start the RMA process on this unit (worst case scenario).  Hopefully it is still under warranty.

IP Logged

philtronix
★★

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 1:54pm  
Thanks a lot willtek.

I am getting 'cd' command not found error message.

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 4:25pm  
The remote recovery procedure above relates to the options (configuration) file and not the image (firmware/software).  The issue you have as Mike has pointed out relates to the fact that the system does not complete it's boot up to the Linux prompt, if it doesn't get there it will not even begin looking for the options file.

So as Mike has said, type the fis load linux command at the redboot prompt and let us know what you see, if you get a message returned that there are missing files and it cannot complete loading linux....well it's an RMA I'm affraid.

you can ask your ISP for the full remote recovery procedure, this lays out recovering not just the options file, but the full image file should this be the issue.  you will notice there is no recovery procedure for Linux from iDirect as they don't share this out, it's a stripped down bespoke version of Linux they don't hand out to anyone apparently.

your comment the ISP cannot help seems very odd.  I don't know many iDirect providing ISPs that would be unable to find out from the iDirect TAC what to do in this case.  double check with them, perhaps you got an engineer on a bad day. Smiley

IP Logged

athomasd
★★

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:53pm  
I have a similar problem with my 7350.  When I type "fis load linux" I get "No image 'linux' found.  I think something must have happened to my flash.

Anyway, I've been scouring the net looking for a way to reload the linux image, but I've had no success.  I'm afraid that I'm going the RMA route that TDMAmike mentioned.  I can see all of the tools in RedBoot to make the linux reload happen, I just can't put it all together myself.

Does anyone have docs related to the RedBoot commands?

IP Logged

Darkside
★★

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:38am  
Hi athomasd

Please read comments carfully posted by TDMAMike and Scout!

If "fis load linux" command does not work, unit will have to be RMA'd (Sent for repair). iDirect will not provide the linux image.

IP Logged

athomasd
★★

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:06pm  
Thanks, Darkside.

I checked with iDirect and I'm about to ship this guy back for RMA.

IP Logged

athomasd
★★

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 4:45pm  
Got my unit back not too long ago.  As I suspected, it had dumped it's linux load.  They couldn't give me a reason, though.  Looks like if you get stuck at REDBOOT, it's RMA time!

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 5:57pm  
Quote:
Got my unit back not too long ago.  As I suspected, it had dumped it's linux load.  They couldn't give me a reason, though.  Looks like if you get stuck at REDBOOT, it's RMA time!

Getting stuck at Redboot could mean a number of things but it is often due to a failure of sorts (power loss, or loss of connectivity) during a cumulative_update.  Recovery is possible, but you must have access to the NMS image sets (for your version) before you can even get started. Specifically the cumulative update pkg.

IP Logged

athomasd
★★

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:30pm  
Quote:
Getting stuck at Redboot could mean a number of things but it is often due to a failure of sorts (power loss, or loss of connectivity) during a cumulative_update.  Recovery is possible, but you must have access to the NMS image sets (for your version) before you can even get started. Specifically the cumulative update pkg.

What I meant to say was: If you get stuck at redboot and fis load linux comes back with "no image found", then it's time to send it in.

IP Logged

Pages: 1