Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

New Tooway install La Coruna (Spain)

(Read 5410 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

May 29th, 2009 at 8:02pm  
One week ago I installed my new Tooway equipment and I can say that it's a very good system but not perfect.
I have some problems when tere is some rain (not a lot).
Probably I have to improove my dish pointing.
Someone knows how to check the quality of the connecton?
Only when I register the modem I could check the upstream signal/noise ratio (6) and the downstream signal/noise ratio (7).

thanks

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2009 at 7:58am  
Hi, please contact us if you need help. It looks your pointing needs some fine tuning. I dont know where you are located in Caruna but signal strengt should not be a problem but you are a bit on the edge of the footprint so maybe a bigger size dish (98 cm) will be finaly the best solution if signal stays weak. https://www.europe-satellite.com/EMS/popup/footprint_tooway.htm
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009 at 5:37pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 4:21pm  
Thanks but before I decide to buy a new bigger dish I better try a fine tunning of the actual.
To get this I would need to move a litle my dish and then check if the signal/noise ratio improves or not.
The question is how can I get to the activation screen as when I activate the modem the first time?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 6:01pm  
Before making any adjustments I suggest you paint white one flat on each of the fine adjust azimuth bolt and elevation nut. Also measure the length (to 1 mm accuracy) of the outer end of the elevation screw and the position of the azimuth fine adjuster. Write it all down and maybe take a close up photo.  Wait for clear sky conditions.

If someone can say how to read out the signal quality then you need to turn the nuts in 1 flat increments (1/6th turn) recording the signal value at each step.  Go down a significant amount either way, plot the curve, then calculate the centre position and adjust back by the requisite number of turn and flats.

If there is no method for determining signal quality count the turns and flats till the demod unlocks.  Record the count of turn and flats.  Then put back and wait until fully stable again.  Then go down the other way and note the other unlock position.  You may need to repeat the above measurements several times.  Calculate the centre and move there by the requisite number of turns and flats.

Do the above peaking up process in elevation first since it is easier, as there is no backlash.  In azimuth the method is more complex since you must gradually approach the final setting in a specific direction, having removed the backlash.

It is no good just to get a "good enough" receive signal.  The "good enough state" applies over a wide range around the beam centre.  You need to get to the exact centre of the beam by halving, as the transmit beam is significantly narrower then the receive beam.

It is normal for an experienced installer, with the proper test equipment, to spend at least 30 minutes peaking up, after finding the satellite.  It is a precision skilled job.  You may take much longer.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 7:10pm  
If you preset the dish to 44 elevation, skew between  94-97 and azimuth between 150-170 it should not take longer than a few minutes to point. Try to find a spectrum analyzer for fine tuning. We have installed systems in Gibraltar with a perfect signal, you are in a better footprint position so signal should be no problem. Without a special Satellite Finder or a Spectrum Analyzer (SA) its very difficult to align the dish !!!!!  With a SA it takes just 1 minute to fine tune Smiley Have a look here for dish settings https://www.europe-satellite.com/EMS/systems/systems216b.htm You dont pass the activation page anymore.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009 at 6:04pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:18pm  
Please explain how to see a receive signal quality on an operating service ?

If he does not have a spectrum analyser or a power meter then a receive quality readout from the modem would be helpful.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:14pm  
Quote:

If he does not have a spectrum analyser or a power meter then a receive quality readout from the modem would be helpful.

Best regards, Eric.

Exactly Eric, the readout you mention is the one I would like to get.

thanls
Manuel

IP Logged

cambrian
★★

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:15pm  
As stated above, you only get to view the set up parameters the first time you log in. There seems to be no way to subsequently check your SNRs.

For this reason, a good meter or if you are very wealthy, a spectrum analyser is required.
A reasonably priced satellite meter is fine with a bit of practice but you can't read that initial activation screen after first log in.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2009 at 9:06am  
Quote:

Best regards, Eric.

There is no way to readout the signal from the modem. So you realy need a satellite finder or even better a SA. Maybe you can borrow one from a local TV installer.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:30pm by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 12:45pm  
Ask your service provider for a graph of your Tooway uplink and downlink C/N over the last week.  If it is varying with a 24hr pattern then it could be that you are mispointed and on the side of the beam and the slight daily satellite movement makes it vary.  Irregular changes may be due to weather at your site or Turin. Offline when you were switched off etc.
e.g.

It is really bad that the customer can't read out their own downlink C/N.  The information is there in the modem and is being regularly sent to the hub.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1