Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

FAULTY IDIRECT 3100 NB MODEM

(Read 2698 times)
Mahmood
★★

Nov 10th, 2009 at 1:38pm  
With the lights on the RX and TX terminals flashing amber I called in the technician who, after several attempts decided to have the modem changed.

I was then told that the RX and TX cable could have been swapped which caused the RX connection to blow out. Whilst this has never been the case and was confirmed to the service provider, would highly appreciate if someone could assist in explaining to me (a layman) as to what could have gone wrong and if swapping of these cables can cause damage to the modem.

The previous modem was still under warranty and I am now being asked to pay for the replacement modem.

Many thanks for your valuable advice.

Regards

Mahmood

IP Logged

fluffymassive
★★★

SA. Australia
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 12:04am  
Hi,

If the modem is supplying the LNB/BUC DC power the power would run over the cables. If the cables were unplugged or plugged back in while the modem was running, this can short the modem if you do not place it in correctly. I.e make sure the centre conductor doesn't touch the outer.
This would usually make the lights on the back of the modem go orange.
If the RX and TX lights on the front of the modem were flashing then that could be an issue with the firmware/options file.

Cheers,

IP Logged

Mahmood
★★

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 11:00am  
Hi

Thanks very much indeed for your valuable comments which will help me in dealing with the service provider.

Lights at the back of the modem did stay green. Only RX, TX and/or Net lights kept on flashing amber.

Just to doublecheck. Would pluggging of the RX cable in the TX socket and TX cable in the RX Socket, without the centre conductor touching the outer conductor, cause the modem to short?

Once again thanks very much for your precious advice.

Regards

Mahmood

IP Logged

Pages: 1