Home page of Satellite Internet and Information

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. Register at the bottom of the forum home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite Internet Forum : Home Page          
Pages: 1

C/N and (C+N)/N

(Read 1850 times)
Ex Member
Ex Member

Nov 25th, 2009 at 7:26am  
Hi,

Please help. May i know the difference between (Co + No)/No and C/N? how do you convert from one another and relationship?
 Please correct me if im wrong..am i looking at C/N on a spectrum analyzer when i have my marker noise on from the noise floor to the top of the carrier?

thnx
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:36pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston

Personal text from Profile,
Options, Top line

Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 8:00am  
Make sure the spectrum analyser resolution bandwidth is significantly less then the carrier bandwidth.

Use this page EbNo calculator to calculate the C/N starting with (C+N)/N.  Just set FEC=1 and Bits/Symbol=1.

When your marker is on top of the carrier you are measuring C+N.   When your marker is on the noise floor you are measuring N

The difference between the two is (C+N)/N.

If you set "Marker Noise function ON" you are measuring (Co+No) or No.  The analyser works out the power per Hz knowing what is the noise bandwidth of the internal resolution bandwidth filter (ie. - 10 * log(-3dB bandwidth in Hz) - 0.5 dB).  It also corrects for noise not being like a sinewave (+2.5 dB).  Normally an analyser detector measures peak voltage and displays RMS value, assuming a sinewave input.   Noise has a different peak to mean ratio from sinewave so display value is wrong unless you do "MKR NOISE ON".

A scrambled digital carrier is "noise like".

If you see a 3 dB high hump in the noise floor the carrier level and the noise level are the same and add together to make twice, so C/N=0 dB and (C+N)/N = 3 dB.

If you see a 20 dB (or higher) high hump in the noise floor then  C/N is about the same as (C+N)/N.

For intermediate values use the calculator.

Read more: HP application Note 150 (3.4 Mbytes pdf. print out 67 pages, pages 31 - 33 refer)

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2009 at 11:09am by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 9:16am  
hi eric, 

many thanks.  will check

IP Logged

Pages: 1