Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

dish pointing with linkstar modem

(Read 2865 times)
satguru2k2
★★

Jan 31st, 2010 at 5:30pm  
please is there any software i can use on my laptop to help me point to a satelite on a linkstar platform  without using my spectum analizer ? please advice
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010 at 8:54pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 8:48pm  
Read the instruction manual before starting work, especially the important warnings about not working on the coax cables while the mains power is connected and never getting the cables crossed over or shorted.  You will permanently damage the modem.

Use telnet to configure the modem by typing in the configuration string.

Initially connect one coax cable only.  Receive LNB to the modem receive input.

Move the modem near the antenna, keeping the full length of the LNB cable connected.

When you swing the dish you will start to see the modem go slow flashing green.  For approximate pointing, adjust azimuth and elevation to the middle between the green drop out points.

Use telnet to do the "rep tcmp" command on your PC. This will automatically repeat the command every few seconds. To abort just type any command.  telnet is fine; you don't need any special software.

Adjust the pointing to minimise the bit error rate, typically 0.00009 or less.  It is really important to get to the exact minimum, as the transmit beam is narrower than the receive beam.

Read all of this recent forum message about setting up Linkstar terminal.

The box for the LinkStar modem normally contains a large glossy quick reference installation guide.
See here: Linkstar install glossy pdf 693k bytes

There is a more substantial installation instructions manual available from your service provider.
See here for an old manual:  Linkstar install manual pdf 1909k bytes

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:09pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1