Satellite Internet

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum. Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure. Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute. If you are showing as 'Guest', please register at the bottom of this home page if you wish to contribute or ask question. Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          
Pages: 1

Wireless Router for Sat Internet System

(Read 3508 times)
jay1
Ex Member

Mar 27th, 2010 at 4:16pm  
I am new to this site and this topic.  I am currently in Iraq and I am looking at getting a satellite system for Internet.  I want to be able to connect a wireless router to allow access by other people.  I am concerned about security and bandwith usage by each person logged on.  Does anyone have a wireless router they recommend for "public access" that had good security features and that I can limit bandwith usage per user that is not too expensive?  Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Constellation
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 9:08pm  
There a range of options but looking at one that allows multiple features such as this won't likely qualify for lacking expense.  Microtik makes a wifi access point at a cost of around $2k which allows more control than a basic access point.  http://store.wisp-router.com/catalog/partdetail.aspx?PartNo=Gatespot-Appl ;  

It might be overkill for what you're looking to do.  Maybe just a bandwidth manager and a wireless access point that will work with laptops?  A Microtik bandwidth manager is a couple hundred and a WAP can be less than $100.  The range might not cut it if you are spread out. 

Lots of considerations.  Hopefully this helped a little.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 6:18am  
Quote:
I am new to this site and this topic.  I am currently in Iraq and I am looking at getting a satellite system for Internet.  I want to be able to connect a wireless router to allow access by other people.  I am concerned about security and bandwith usage by each person logged on.  Does anyone have a wireless router they recommend for "public access" that had good security features and that I can limit bandwith usage per user that is not too expensive?  Thanks for your help.

For more info click here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1