Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Help needed for Tooway Ku band satellite install

(Read 7424 times)
dcrecords
★★

Apr 14th, 2010 at 6:46pm  
Hi I am helping a friend on saturday setup his KU band tooway in south wales in the uk. We have a promax mc-360B meter I have used this on KA sat and just tuned the meter to 1477 and sweeped until I beeped so to speak. Just wondering what I do for ku band and what I tune in dont have a manual for the meter so dont have a clue any help would be great thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:50pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:03am  
Quote:
Hi I am helping a friend on saturday setup his KU band tooway in south wales in the uk. We have a promax mc-360B meter I have used this on KA sat and just tuned the meter to 1477 and sweeped until I beeped so to speak. Just wondering what I do for ku band and what I tune in dont have a manual for the meter so dont have a clue any help would be great thanks

Basically the same as Ka but use correct carrier freq, click on the following links Eurobird3 carrier info and general install and activation info.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2010 at 3:02pm by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

dcrecords
★★

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:08am  
Hi, Thanks for the info. So what do I key in the meter is it 1471 and just turn the dish as normal? I also have a digital horizon meter but was told it would'nt work on tooway for KA sat will it work for this KU sat. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 1:10pm  
Quote:
Hi, Thanks for the info. So what do I key in the meter is it 1471 and just turn the dish as normal? I also have a digital horizon meter but was told it would'nt work on tooway for KA sat will it work for this KU sat. Thanks for your help.

1472 or 1564 You can use your Horizon meter on Ku, we have a HEX file (shows a lock when found) for the old Horizon meter if you need it. Eurobird3 carrier info
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2010 at 5:56pm by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:18pm  
Under the spectrum plot in the pdf document it lists three carriers.

Two of them are shown in Lyngsat for Eurobird 3 at 33 East:
11.472 GHz H   (1472 MHz with LNB LO=10GHz) 27500 Spot A
11.596 GHz H   (1596 MHz with LNB LO=10GHz) 27500 Spot D

Spot A is UK/Spain
Spot D is Greece/Holland - low in Wales

When using satellite TV meters with VSAT LNBs it is important to know the actual LNB LO frequency and do the calculation to verify the L band frequency in the cable.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

dcrecords
★★

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:43pm  
Thanks for all the help, So all I need to do is key in 1472 and sweep away, how do I do the calcalating for L band in the cable? just in case I need it for the future.

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:49pm  
Quote:
Thanks for all the help, So all I need to do is key in 1472 and sweep away, how do I do the calcalating for L band in the cable? just in case I need it for the future.

No calculating needed, just use 1472. If you need help to program your Horizon custom carrier you are welcome to call us (UK number).

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2010 at 10:16am by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

dcrecords
★★

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:03pm  
Thanks alot for that will give that a go. I contacted horizon today and they sent me a hex file for this, It already has eurobird 3 33 on it is that not the same then?

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:12pm  
Quote:
Thanks alot for that will give that a go. I contacted horizon today and they sent me a hex file for this, It already has eurobird 3 33 on it is that not the same then?

Should do the job, only not sure if it shows a "found+lock" but you can use it to find the satellite. Make sure when it does not show a "found+lock" you are on Eurobird3, there are a few very nearby with a strong signal (e.g. Astra). If the modem does not lock after 30 minutes you can be sure you are on Astra Smiley

IP Logged

dcrecords
★★

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:49pm  
Thanks guys, I will try it with the promax first as I found the KA sat easy using this, Just didn't know the if freq for KU Just thought it would be better to ask the pro's on this one.

IP Logged

dcrecords
★★

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 9:04pm  
Lucky gits hope it all go's well for you and thanks for the help.

Quote:
No calculating needed, just use 1472. If you need help to program your Horizon custom carrier you are welcome to call us (UK number). Make sure you call us Friday before 12:00H or after this weekend, we have to do 2 Tooway installs in Mallorca this weekeind (if flights are ok).

https://www.europe-satellite.com/EMS/images/footprints/footprint_eurobird3_33E_a...

https://www.europe-satellite.com/EMS/images/footprints/footprint_eurobird3_33E_d...

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 9:32pm  
If you use a Horizon hex file make sure that the person who made it knew you planning to use a 10 GHz local oscillator LNB, or alternatively knew that you wanted to look at an L band frequency of 1472 MHz.

A Horizon meter is an L band receiver (950-2050 MHz) and hex files will normally be made assuming that the LNB has 9.75 GHz and 10.6 GHz local oscillator frequencies and the polarisation is switchable H or V, using tones and voltages. None of this is true for a VSAT LNB with single polarisation and single local oscillator frequency.

Formula:
L band frequency in cable = satellite frequency - LNB local oscillator frequency.
e.g.  1472 MHz = 11.472 GHz - 10 GHz.

Polarisation setting:
For South Wales and Eurobird 3 at 33E and Horizontal nominal polarisation.
1. Set the feed rotation for Horizontal receive as the starting position. (LNB filter arm upwards or downwards)
2. Turn the feed approx -25 deg anticlockwise while facing towards the satellite in the sky.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:52pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 4:46pm  
Can someone help please. I have set up the dish and pointed it at Eurobird3. I am getting a flashing light on the receive signal on the modem but no flashing on the send light. I have spoken to BW and they say the send light will not flash until the receive light sets itself. I was under the impression that both lights should flash on the modem as after the modem receives a signal it has to tell the satellite that it has received it. Is that basically correct?

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 8:17pm  
Depending on the firmware software, the RX LED has the following meanings:

1 flash   acquiring
2 flash   ranging
3 flash   registering
4 flash   software download
ON    completed

or
slow blink   acquiring
fast blink     ranging / registration
ON    completed

very fast blink   modem fault

The modem will not transmit until is is receiving the correct carrier, which requires correct satellite and correct polarisation adjustment angle (also correct model number LNB i.e. with correct local oscillator frequency).

You may be on the wrong satellite (Astra ?) or have not set your polarisation accurately. There are many Ku band satellites. Slow single flashing in excess of 30 minutes strongly suggests wrong satellite or wrong polarisation angle.  

Try several satellites each way along the orbit. With Astra at 28E and EB3 at 33E, if you are in western europe, EB3 will be to the east and down a bit. Calculate the pointing angles for both and you can move exactly from one to the other.  The satellites are in a curved line across the sky, with top of the curved arc due south from your site longitude.

This page Tooway dish pointing gives you the polarisation adjustment angle (e.g -15.5 deg anticlockwise, while facing the satellite in the sky.) You can set polarisation angle using an inclinometer sideways across the BUC or LNB. Make small adjustment if asked to do so by the hub.

Also, for people with the Ka band Tooway service on Hotbird,  this page gives the actual polarisation scale number to use on the blue scale behind the Raven dish (which has non-standard polarisation scale numbering)

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2010 at 12:15pm by Eric Johnston »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1