Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

An offer you can't refuse

(Read 3308 times)
Ceegarz
★★

May 10th, 2010 at 10:25am  
Aggressive pricing on guaranteed level of service.

Compare our performance, delivery of service and client care.

There really is no point in buying or receiving free hardware if the network is not there to support you.

We are willing to let you try our service for 1 month for FREE to compare us against any other VSAT provider for true through put.

MIR Down (kbps) 512
MIR Up (kbps) 128
CR   20:01

We look forward to hearing from you.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010 at 8:44am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010 at 4:51pm  
I've extracted this from your website:

MIR Down (kbps)   MIR Up (kbps)    CR    Price ($)
512               128             20:1   250$

Does MIR mean maximum (peak) information rate ?  If so, I think you should make the meaning of the abbreviation MIR clear.

On the outlink, with 20 sites sharing, the average long term bit rate per site must be no more than 25 kbit/s and uplink 6.4 kbit/s and possibly much less due to TDMA inefficiencies.

What exactly is your 'guaranteed level of service' ?  I can find no reference on your web site www.mmstrack.com   What fair access policy is applied ? Can customers expect some minimum throughput per hour, day, month, e.g. 2 Gbytes per month ?   What average bit rate (or Mbytes) is guaranteed per hour ?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2010 at 8:43am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

Ceegarz
★★

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2010 at 10:23am  
Thank you for your feedback.

You are correct that “MIR” is the acronym for “maximum information rate”.

So with that said allow us to explain why we are making our offer - what we have noticed in the marketplace is that there are providers that sell various levels of MIR in which the capacity subscribed to is not what the client is receiving which creates a market dynamic that is based on price and price alone. In short creating a false market condition.

Furthermore with respect to your ratio scenario – in laymen terms what we are offering is, you always get what you pay for. Specifically, your dedicated bandwidth is guaranteed with a hard-coded Committed
Information Rate (CIR) that establishes a bandwidth “minimum”.

In the upcoming weeks, we will be updating our website to incorporate our Fair Access Policy, as well as additional information.

With respect to your other questions allow me to refer back to our offer – we will allow you to try our service for 30 days so the client can compare their existing services to ours.

The cost to you is time to compare.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2010 at 1:40pm  
Quote:
Furthermore with respect to your ratio scenario – in laymen terms what we are offering is, you always get what you pay for. Specifically, your dedicated bandwidth is guaranteed with a hard-coded Committed
Information Rate (CIR) that establishes a bandwidth “minimum”.

What CIR do you offer for $250 per month ?

I am not aware of any service provider selling "up to" bit rates that are not achieved as peak short term bit rates.   Of course with many people sharing the peak bit rate may rarely be achieved and then for only a few seconds at a time.  I agree there are sometimes discrepances due to IP packet overheads and exactly how and where the bit rate measurements are made - but generally if an outlink carrier is 256k bit/s information rate there is no doubt that the customer modem receives at 256k bit/s.

The problem I see is misunderstandings by naive customers regarding shared versus dedicated services.

Service providers offer services like:
"up to 512kbit/s down and 128kbit/s up, shared 20:1 for $250 per month."
I have no prioblem with that kind of description; the fact that the service is shared with 20 others is quite clear.  What is strictly not allowed on this web site is to claim that such a service is dedicated or that the CIR=512k/128k.  The price for that should be about $5000 per month, twenty times as much as for a shared service where 20 sites, each with 1 or 2 PCs, are each paying $250 towards the total cost.  A 512k/128k dedicated service would suit one business site with 20 to 25 PCs, all busy simultanously, or a customer needing 320k/320k for 20 VoIP phones, which might all be talking simultaneously.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Ceegarz
★★

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2010 at 4:11pm  
Eric - realizing you are the moderator - I would be more than pleased to continue this market discussion off line if you would like - and if you feel it required remove my post, as it was not intended to insult or misrepresent.

The claim we made was quite straight forward as an example:
MIR Down (kbps) 512
MIR Up (kbps) 128
CR   20:01
If you wish to compare for 1 month against your existing provider be our guest.

In conclusion, as to your comment about "naive customers regarding shared versus dedicated services", does have some merit; however, I think we can also agree that margin erosion and the confusion in the marketplace is due to providers not educating the potential marketplace as to what they are really buying .

Regards,

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2010 at 1:42am  
I have been in Satellite Communications for near 40 years.  Yes I was there just after the beginnings of commercial Sat Com.

Eric has a correct analysis of your claim.  While yes, your claim is straitforward, your claim is also incomplete, and hence, no possible way to make a technical measured comparison to another provider.  Of course if multiple providers were to allow a perspective customer at the providers expense to set up several links and put a Firebird 6000 on them for say 168 hours and log the bit errors, well you get the idea. Same for a Spectrum analyzer to measure your C/N and fade margins and see how much and often you guys are saturating your bird.  It CAN be measured but the average small time operator likely doesn't have access to that level of equipment so its up to the providers to be 100% truthful and COMPLETE in their descriptions.

It is not misleading but  it sure doesn't give enough information, in my opinion, to spend money It's important in this business that customers must understand in detail exactly and completely the technical definitions and specifications they are purchasing.  Completely and exactly.  Again, of course that is my opinion.  Layman explanations are not worthy of monetary outlays.  Of course I wasn't there in the beginning of Sat Com so I certainly may have missed something.  Otherwise its just merchandising isn't it?

Scotty
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2010 at 9:52am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1