Tooway Carrier loss

(Read 5416 times)
europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Jun 13th, 2010 at 5:50pm  
Webcam
Sunday afternoon June 13 2010.

One of the causes of unstable satellite (e.g. Tooway) systems can be the weather situation at the Skylogic HUB in Turin.

Heavy rain can create a thin layer (film) of water on a dish and change the shape of the dish and focus point to the transmitter/receiver, this results in a loss of signal.

*Beside above there are also other explanations, see remark below.

Webcam

Is has been very bad over the last few weeks and it looks unlikely to improve in the upcomming week, see Yahoo weather forecast today.

It can be sunny weather at your location but not at the Skylogic HUB in Turin !

Turin webcam, https://www.spaziotorino.it/webcam/stadio.htm

*Rain and carrier loss.
----------------------
While heavy rain may cause degradation of signal, it will not be due to deforming of the dish. It is by attenuation of the signal by raindrops, and by scattering (scintillation) causing multipath interference. In general a well-designed link budget will provide adequate rain-fade to cover 99.5% or better availability, including the onset of heavy rain.

I am sure Eric will follow-up this post also.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010 at 2:40am by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

Sean_Williams
★★

Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 7:44pm  
Thanks for that info.

Do you think that would explain the really poor service we have experienced in Wales this past week/ten days?
The link has been slow, dropping out, slow again, v slow etc,  although occasionally bordering on 'normal'

Cheers
Sean

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 12:48am  
Quote:
Thanks for that info.

Do you think that would explain the really poor service we have experienced in Wales this past week/ten days?
The link has been slow, dropping out, slow again, v slow etc,  although occasionally bordering on 'normal'

Cheers
Sean

No sure if weather is the (only) reason. Submit a ticket/complain at you provider every time you have a problem.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member
★★

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 2:11pm  
The link has gone missing quite a few times in this part of Wales too over the last couple of weeks.  Sometimes it was obvious why: big clouds, heavy rain here.  I also find fine, vertical rain (no wind) also tends to cause problems.  But today the sky is nice and blue, and the signal has gone.  I'm on dial-up now, and like with some of the other occasions I have checked and I see Turin is very wet.   And will be tomorrow.  And the next day, probably.

When it is up, which it is mostly, I have not had any problem with link data rates.

I must post the details of my installation, I have had it up for 5 months now.   Indespensible!

Regards all, John

IP Logged

minesapint
★★

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 12:59pm  
Hi

Tooway KA has been dire for us in France for the last 6 days. Before that I was away for 2 weeks, so I can't have used up my allowance.
Better today, hence I can post.
Calling my provider, Numeo, is really no help; it just costs me lot of money for the call with no explanation, advice or sympathy!
Hope we're back to normal now.
Is there any way to get a service bulletin from the hub?

Cheers

IP Logged

cambrian
★★

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 1:07pm  
It was clearly a mistake to site the dishes in Turin instead of sunny south west Wales!

Best regards,

Tony

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member
★★

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 1:14pm  
Mr. Steve Murphy of Bentley-Walker has recently sent out an email reporting that several satellite services, including this one, are currently experiencing rain fade problems due to very heavy rain at the Turin hub. 

Nice and sunny here, though.  I think I'll go outside and play.

Regards,  John

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 2:41pm  
Quote:
Mr. Steve Murphy of Bentley-Walker has recently sent out an email reporting that several satellite services, including this one, are currently experiencing rain fade problems due to very heavy rain at the Turin hub.  

Nice and sunny here, though.  I think I'll go outside and play.

Regards,  John

We are sorry to announce that due to heavy rainfall at the Turin hub, services hosted from this teleport are experiecing intermittant performance.

Services on satellites W3a, W6, W7, Sesat2, Eurobird and Hotbird may be affected.

We are continuing to monitor the weather situation and will update as soon as the weather improves.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We thank you for your time in reading this notice.

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
YaBB Moderator
★★★★★

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 9:53am  
The intermittent bad weather across southern France and northern Italy continues. Here is an example grib.
16 June 2010: Southern France: 12" rain in 16 hours.  At least 19 people have died on Wednesday after unusually heavy rains lashed parts of southern France, TF1 television reported, citing local police. All the fatalities occurred in the south—eastern region of Var, where some 200,000 households lost electricity during the storm. By mid—day Wednesday, power had been restored to about half of those residences. More than 1,000 people had to be rescued by helicopter from their homes because of the swiftly rising floodwaters, which roared through several cities in the region, sweeping away cars and knocking over trees.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1