Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

HX50 Network Complications

(Read 3367 times)
micky55
★★

Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:08pm  
Hey guys, need some networking assistance/advice.  I have a BW network with HX50 modem in this setup:  Modem-ZyXEL Firewall-Wired Router-Switch with a grand total of 30 users.

The firewall has 4 ports, one goes to one of the router ports, one goes to the hard line to me(I'm the network admin on the system), and 2 ports go to D-Link wireless access points.

The router has 4 ports also, one is used up coming from the firewall, one is going to the switch, and one is going to my 3rd D-Link access point(all DAP-1522's).

The switch is 8 ports, one port used coming from the router, and 6 used by hard wired people in that section of the building my equipment is located.

The HX50 modem IP is 10.142.xx.xxx, firewall is 192.168.1.xxx, modem 192.168.1.xxx, and access points also 192.168.1.xxx. 

In the FAQ section on the modem, it gives me 12 IP addresses I can use in the 10.142.xx.xxx domain, should I switch all devices to that IP range, and how should I assign individual user IPs?  I have DHCP turned on in the firewall and shut off in all other devices, and still have a great big bottleneck somewhere.  Can anyone help me get this mess straightened out?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 3:25pm  
General background information regarding routers

The ethernet socket on your modem has been configured to work with a limited number of IP addresses, connected via passive hubs or switches. If you have a large number of PCs to connect you only need a minimal IP address range* from the satellite modem as you need to connect just one device - a router.

Since the IP address range is small you need to use 1 or more routers to expand one or more of the above IP addresses. You can invent hundreds of local private LAN IP addresses if you wish. You need switches or passive hubs to merge all the ethernet cables from your local PCs together into one cable into the router gateway.

A router is essentially a two port device, the upper WAN connection is the internet connection, the lower LAN connection is the LAN gateway used by all your local PCs. You program the router to invent IP addresses for all PCs in your local LAN. A router joins two different networks together.  

Many small routers come with a built-in 4 port hub or switch so that you may plug in up to 4 devices. If your requirement is for 4 or less PCs, this saves you having to buy a separate hub or switch to plug into a single LAN socket on the router.

Wireless access points are similar, comprising a router and a wireless 'switch' allowing many wireless PCs to connect, often plus a 4 port physical switch as well.

The router function in some routers and wireless access points can be disabled so the device acts as a switch or passive hub.

You can expand a hub or switch using more hubs or switches, until you have all your PCs connected or use up all the IP addresses you have invented in the router.

A  passive hub parallels up several ethernet cables; all traffic is sent down every cable. A switch directs traffic towards only to the intended destination, via the appropriate cable.

Regarding your network

Here is an idea but please get advice from others also as I am not an expert on this.

Connect the 8 port switch to the firewall. This gives you  3 + 7 = 10 ethernet sockets for the LAN defined by the router inside the firewall (e.g network name: 192.168.1.0  mask:255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.1.1, external useable PCs 192.168.1.2 to 254, multicast address: 192.168.1.255)

Connect your own hardwired PC and two D-Link access points to the firewall, one D-Link access point and six local hardwired PCs to the switch. When configuring the router in the firewall I suggest static IP addresses for your PC (say 192.168.1.2) and the 3 wireless access points (say 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.20, 192.168.1.30) and DHCP for the 6 local customer PCs.

Operate the wireless access points in normal router mode so each access point has its own private wireless LAN.

The above arrangement is likely to work but you may not be able to monitor/supervise traffic from individual wireless PCs, now hidden within their private wireless LAN networks. If you need visibility of individual PCs, then the PCs in the wireless networks must all be in the firewall network i.e. 192.168.1.xxx.  Maybe the wireless access points can have their router mode disabled so that they operate as switches. Maybe they can be operated as sub-nets, e.g 32 IP addresses allocated to each access point. I'm not sure how to do this or if the firewall router and the access points have this sophistication.

For expansion there may be spare sockets for hard wired PCs on the access points and the access points may be turned into bridges, daisy chaining from one wireless network to the next.  

Beware of congestion due to high traffic flows.

I hope the above gives you some ideas, but please will others add their comments and alternatives.

* e.g. mask=255.255.255.252 name=192.168.0.0 gateway=192.168.0.1  router=192.168.0.2 multicast=192.168.0.3

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2010 at 11:48am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

kyra
★★

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 3:42pm  
the main question is about bottleneck... bottleneck is not about IP but user it self. first at all you need to divide your subscribe bandwidth with total of user and you will get the theoretical bandwidth per user.
for connection based my experienced yo can used any method but recommended you used based on HX 50 ip range.

IP Logged

rahiel
★★

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 11:59am  
Maybe your HX 50 configured only for 1 subnets by BW NOC
if you want to extend your network, you must tell NOC to add your seconds or others subnets in HX..

also you can do NAT in the firewall..

IP Logged

Pages: 1