Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Super buddy first use

(Read 6077 times)
dutchtech
★★

Oct 22nd, 2010 at 11:33am  
Hi I'm a network tech working in Iraq. I have a Super Buddy on order which I'm anxiously awaiting, now this guy here on base was kind enough to donate a 1.2m dish with LNB and BUC to me (someone abandoned it apparently). The LNB is an NJR2184HH and the BUC a NJT5037F.

A similar LNB:

https://www.satsig.net/lnb/NJR2184-lnb-specification-data-sheet.pdf

Now my question is, how do I setup my superbuddy for this type of LNB? Do I maybe go to hughesnet in the menu or generic KU band?

Also I was wondering if it's possible to pick up TV with this kinda setup, so not using the BUC just hooking up the LNB to a digital receiver?...

Thanks in advance,

Dutch

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 2:54pm  
The dish and LNB plus a satellite TV set top box will work, but with limitations:

.  You will only be able to receive satellite TV carriers in the range 10.95 - 11.7 GHz.
.  You will be able to receive either polarisation but you will need to visit the antenna to turn the feed system through 90 deg to chnage the polarisation.

Have a look in Lyngsat.com and maybe talk with others locally about what satellites have what TV programs of interest. Check that the beam covers Iraq.  Free-to-Air (FTA) programs don't need a paid-for conditional access card.

Once you have an objective: satellite name, satellite location, feasible carrier frequency and polarisation, then set up your dish.

Set the polarisation initially to nominal. Vertical means the broad faces of the LNB input waveguide will be on top and underneath. Get the polarisation adjustment amount, the azimuth and elevation from https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-dish-pointing-iraq.htm   While facing forwards towards the satellite turn the feed clockwise if the polariation adjustment is positive. See the picture on the web page as a guide, viewed with you behind the dish facing forwards towards the satellite.

Set the elevation angle.  If your dish has a scale use it accurately. Make sure the pole is vertical and that the head unit is not sagging down. Swing the dish sideways around the approx magnetic azimuth bearing (compare the blue line relative to your building wall or roof) and you will find the satellite.  Your meter will show signal power on the left and, if you have the freq and symbol rate correct will show LOCK and signal quality on the right when you lock to the wanted carrier.

Setting the meter:
Try the "Manual Tuning" option.  Set the LNB local oscillator frequency to 10.0 GHz.  If you set a carrier frequency such as 11.452 GHz the meter will tune to 1452 MHz.

Setting your satellite TV set top box.
Tune this by either entering the L band cable frequency directly (e.g.1452 MHz) or by inputting the satellite frequency (e.g. 11.452) and the LNB local oscillator frequency (10 GHz). Enter the symbol rate.

Note that the Super Buddy and set top box have polarisation options, which generate 13 or 19V DC. This will have no effiect. Your polarisation is what you set manually.  The 22kHz tone will be ineffective and should be left OFF.

If you want satellite broadband service then consider an iDirect modem. Service providers are listed here https://www.satsig.net/ivsat2.htm
wxw
Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

dutchtech
★★

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 3:29pm  
Thanks for all the informative info, I just got back from the deck where I have the dish setup. I also have a satlook mark IV at my disposal so I thought I'd give it a try. I got a little bit of signal which led me to believe I was on the bird but something wasn't quite right. I was trying to tune it to a transponder on 11766

13 east Hot Bird 9 11766V 27500 Rai Uno ---------------------84%

STRONG FREQUENCY OF HOTBIRD 13*E

arrow 11727 V 27500-3/4

CHANNELS British Telecom

After googling some strong transponders, as it turns out these are out of reach, I tried tweaking the polarization a bit. I've been using this site to get my numbers:

https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/SatelliteTV/SatelliteCalculator.p...

I like the fact that it includes the offset calculation (something which mystified me for a while...quite a while).

I have my exact lat/lon and am pretty positive i'm working with a 22.6 offset dish (it does have a scale though, so I could forget about the offset a bit). I also have a compass and inclinometer so at least I've got some gear to work with. 

Tomorrow I'll take your advice to heart and give it another go...on a lower frequency channel this time and hopefully with the correct polarization. If I get around to it I'll take some pics of the whole deal in action Smiley . Well almost dinner time here, have a nice evening sir.

Dutch

IP Logged

dutchtech
★★

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 1:09pm  
Well I've tried my 'bestest', that satlook mark IV just isn't doing it for me, I tried hooking it up to another 'normal' dish with a universal lnb but still no go. The inbuilt spectrum analyzer does let me know it is finding satellites but when I switch to tv there isn't signal. When I hooked it up to a working (pointed) dish from a co-worker i still didn't get signal, yet the spectrum analyzer showed a nice signature. Maybe a malfunction of sorts. Good news is my buddy got shipped so in a couple of weeks I should have something solid to work with.

p.s. I was wondering about the elevation calculation, when you enter your lat/long shouldn't you also enter the earth stations elevation above sea level for an accurate angle?

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2010 at 10:58pm  
1 km height might make about 0.0014 deg difference, so of no significance.
Calculated thus:  inv tan(1/40000)
40000km is the approx distance to a satellite at low elevation angle.

Best regards, Eric

IP Logged

dutchtech
★★

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:18am  
lol, ok ya that's pretty minimal, thanks Eric

IP Logged

Pages: 1