Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Upgrading

(Read 2914 times)
Scout
★★★

Jan 4th, 2011 at 4:40pm  
couple of general questions open to any thoughts:
I notice a lot of questions on the board for SW that iDirect "don't support" anymore.  I mean the policy I have been told is to support 3 main releases.  I just read the Zero burst thread and someone is on iDs 6.  

I thought most people would be upgrading now to 8 or evolution.

If you are using older versions of SW.  
1. Why?  
2. Do you still get support from iDirect? (that would be interesting to see)
3. Is anyone on older than iDs 6 Smiley  

I have used everything from 3 (anyone remember Net Manager)  all the way to 2.1.2 currently, and I can tell you release 8 compared to 6....worth the upgrade in my view.  Evolution compared to Infiniti, again worth the upgrade, but I am interested to see why others maintain platforms on much older releases.
I know all about mesh and the limitations there, so if you are on iDs because mesh is not in Evolution I hear ya!  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:47am  
I grew up on the old(er) versions as well (Yes I remember Net Manager).  I spent lots of time in the 5.x enviro (remember the Peacock process?), then 6, 8, and so on. 

I believe that 6.x is as far back as the TAC is willing to support (these days).  That may have changed by now.  They are already talking about ending support for INF down the road.  It gets expensive for iDirect to support two OS's, the various hardware types, and the multiple flavors of IDS/IDX that exist.  So, I dont blame iDirect for looking for a day (down the road) to end support for INF.   

You are not using 2.2 (that iDX may not be available to some yet...not sure)?   

iDX 3.1 has my eye as it introduces some key hardware and software features.  If I were an HNO or an ISP decision maker, I would be seriously looking at that iDX as it will encompass the new line card, and a plethora of software enhancements.

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 9:09pm  
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the response.

I'm not using 2.2, it's apparently GA, but controlled release....from what I have been told it has specific Govt. uses but commercially doesn't add value over 2.1.2, I may be wrong, open to corrections there.

Agree on iDx 3.  Looks very interesting.  Still no Mesh though.......

I think there are still a lot out there that will not upgrade though, it seems the questions still come from the forum about old SW.  Maybe on the forum as iDirect don't support it Smiley  

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 1:00am  
You are correct (2.2)

As for mesh, do you manage any mesh networks?  A lot of folks simply dont have the aperture size to close such networks. Heck, I negotiated some testing back in 07 on 8.x with a single mesh upstream using 2.4m apertures.  It worked great, but no one wants to lug around a 2.4m. I remember seeing that mesh upstream next to our forward carrier..it made our downstream/forward carrier look like the upstream carrier (size wise).  haha.

I guess it all depends on customer requirements...I do see value in using it, but not in my world.  Smiley

You are right, folks are VERY judicious when trying to draw a line as to WHEN they should upgrade.  This stuff isnt cheap....so the reason to upgrade has to be a good one! (to leverage a capability, etc).

I see people holding their cards and trying to get by until the next big/gee-whiz thing is offered....
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:16am by N/A »  

IP Logged

DeanFM
★★

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 4:43am  
for me, I've been struggling to get iSupport and upgrade for almost 4 years...and hope will be there by this year. so, do you mean better to upgrade to iDx?

Thank's

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 8:02pm  
DeanFM -
I think the latest iDx with legacy support and all the features in Evolution make it the best release to upgrade to.  there are some restrictions such as Mesh. 

But really I asked the initial question as I don't see why people are not upgrading.  you say struggling to get on iSupport. is this through iDirect straight or through HNO?
It's certainly a reason to struggle to upgrade, no iSupport.

@Mike - you raise a very good point, people hold on waiting for the next Gee-Whiz.  perhaps the number of SW releases make it seem worth waiting for a huge feature release.  although iDx 2 was this in my view.

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 1:17am  
I think 3.1 is what people are really going to flock to.  Just a hunch.

IP Logged

DeanFM
★★

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:33am  
It's a finance related, Scout..

IP Logged

Pages: 1