Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Virtual NMS for groups of iDirect modems

(Read 2740 times)
Eric Johnston
★★★

Mar 9th, 2011 at 4:13pm  
Nynex have created a Virtual NMS tool ( vNMS ) that enables someone responsible for a number of iDirect terminals to have a management overview facility.
Read more here: https://www.satsig.net/nynex/monitoring-idirect-vnms.htm

You don't have to be a customer of Nynex to use the facility.  I don't have any iDirect sites to test this out but I would be interested to hear from people who make use of this facility - it is free as far as I can tell..

The instruction manual is here: https://vnms.nynex.de/download/vNMS_manual.pdf
wxw
Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 6:12pm  
So, if you have access to download a package onto the remote, you are probably in a position to access data from iMonitor (NOC staff, network operator, VNO, CNO etc.) if you are an end user with a few remotes and you have access to download packages to the remote I am surprised, that shows little security control from an NO point.

If you have access to iMonitor, what does this give you over and above?  what is the benefit to do this as the risk seems pretty high (download a package to your modem that you know is going to collect data and deliver that data to a server owned and maintained by someone else)  Does anyone know if the package you are loading on to the remote does anything other than collect all the information a competitor would want? (options files, network sizing, IP schemes, routing data, QoS profiles, traffic profiles).

Seems like a nice way to get some graphs on your traffic profiles, but as a user of remotes on another providers platform, would placing this package on the remote contradict use policy etc.

I am not suggesting for a second that the providers of this service are doing anything wrong, they have built a useful tool.....but are you doing anything wrong using the tool if you are not the network operator.  I think it's worth looking at.

I would like to hear from you if you use this and if the benefit over the proprietary software is so much that you are happy to have a 3rd party hold all this detail?

IP Logged

Pages: 1