Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Hitting Pro star w6 but can't find Eutelsat6

(Read 6761 times)
shack8511@yahoo.co
★★

Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:45am  
Hi i am in Afghanistan on Fob Sharana. I am setting up a Ts2 system it say when need to hit Eutelsat W6 with more than 15V but i can only get 6v. So i hooked a handheld meter up and it says i'm hitting Pro star W6. I move the dish all around in that area and Pro star W6 is all I can find. Ts2 has no advice on what to do. Please Help. Thanks Jon

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:07am  
You have found the correct W6 satellite, if the meter says W6.

It sounds like the meter is pre-configured to tune to a STAR PRO service on the W6 satellite from Bentley Walker.  You need the TS2 carrier on the same satellite - maybe it is on the other polarisation.

Now check your polarisation.

The adjustment amount is approx +52 deg clockwise as viewed while standing behind the dish, facing forwards towards the satellite in the sky.

The alternative polarisation starting positions are with the LNB filter arm sticking out either upwards (nominal Horizontal receive) or sideways - either side -(nominal Vertical receive).

One start position plus the adjustment will work perfectly.
The other start position plus the adjustment will not work at all.

If still unsuccessful check the modem tuning and the LNB local oscillator frequency (e.g. 10 GHz, 11.3 GHz etc) and model number.
Modem tuning = satellite carrier frequency - LNB local oscillator frequency.  TS2 should tell you all this.

See here for dish pointing angles: https://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-dish-pointing-afghanistan.htm
wxw
If you do get it to work please tell us here exactly what you did. It will help others.

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:24pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

shack8511@yahoo.co
★★

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 4:00am  
Have have tried aiming the dish with the polarity in every site and still cant find Eutelsat W6. 70 + dBvU But cant get meter to lock on. When doing other dishes when i 70+ dBvU it will lock on. This is a used Ts2 system what do you like can be wrong. Thanks Jon

IP Logged

Eric Johnston
★★★

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:12am  
What is your measured elevation angle ?  If it is within about 2 deg of the calculated angle and you are still seeing "I'm hitting Pro star W6" then I would believe that you really have found W6.  Meters do occasionally give false "found" info, when a similar carrier exists on another satellite.  

A big problem with meters is that the person who pre-programmed the meter had to guess what LNB local oscillator frequency you would be using. They mostly assume 9.75 or 10.6 GHz.

Try using the modem and the two different polarisations. There is no need to try many different polarisation positions. There are only two worth trying, both +52 deg clockwise from the orthogonal vertical/horizontal starting positions.

What did TS2 say for:

Modem tuning frequency ?
Satellite downlink carrier frequency ?
LNB local oscillator frequency ?
Downlink polarisation name ?

What is your LNB model number ?
What is your LNB local oscillator frequency ?

Note: Modem tuning = satellite carrier frequency - LNB local oscillator frequency.

TS2 should be helping you.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged

Pages: 1