Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Excessive IP throughput

(Read 3481 times)
DAlbert
★★

Mar 25th, 2011 at 8:33pm  
I have a small iDirect Infinity Downstream at 1.5Mbps 0.793r QPSK carrier.  On both iMonitor, and from Cisco "show interface" I am seeing consistenly over 2200 kbps usage with peaks to 2400 kbps total usage for the Network IP TRAFFIC GRAPH, even at interval set to minutes.
Is this true data over the satellite or does it show what is coming into the PP, before it drops what it can not send? 

Even when I look at IP usage for a remote, I see the total exceed 1544 kbps! 

Has anyone else seen this?

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 1:29am  
Seems a bit excessive...even with satellite overhead.

What are the configured spec's for your carrier in iBuiilder (trans, info, and symbol rates)?

IP Logged

DAlbert
★★

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:27pm  
Info Rate:  1544 kbps, FEC:  TPC-3249/4096, Transmission Rate: 1946.514, and Symbol rate 973.257 ksym.
I can email you screen snapshots if you give me your address.  I would have attach the pics to this thread if I new how.
Thanks

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 2:27am  
What iDS/iDX version are you using?  There were overrun bugs noted in some of the later iDS versions.

IP Logged

DAlbert
★★

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 2:03pm  
Present version is 8.3.12.1
I tried to email you screen captures, but got a failure "Unknown user: TDMAMike1@gmail.com".
Thanks

IP Logged

Ex Member
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 2:50pm  
You should not be seeing over-runs using that iDS version. I would recommend that you take your issue to the TAC in an effort to isolate the problem. There may be a reason for it, or the bug fix is not as good as they think it is.

IP Logged

DAlbert
★★

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 9:20pm  
Thanks for trying to help.  I will work with TAC and eventually post the solution.

IP Logged

DAlbert
★★

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 2:32pm  
Here is the info provided by iDirect HelpDesk:
"I spoke to one of our leads and found out that this is not a bug in the system.  On the Downstream you can see IP traffic that exceeds your downstream, because the system doesn't care how much is coming from the "outside", it gets throttled back and cannot actually go above your link capacity.  What will give you a better idea of your actual usage is the satellite traffic stats.  This will tell you exactly how much of your link is being used, versus what someone wants or tries to send downstream."

I hope it helps others as well.

IP Logged

Anton
★★

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:00pm  
to avoid this we normally apply traffic shaping on hub cisco routers.

The rich man is not the one who has, but the one who does not need.

IP Logged

Pages: 1