Pages: 1

IP router used with Tooway: preferences

(Read 10593 times)
andreasn
★★

Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:24pm  
Hello,

I am new at tooway and very pleased.
Right now nevertheless a little embarrassed about the configuration of a netgear router, which is connected to a satelittemoden via an ethernet switch.
IP and DNS is set to dynamic, but I just don't get this thing working. Would anybody know how to configure a netgear router "wg102" to a tooway satelitte modem?

Regards AndreasN.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2011 at 6:38pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 10:29pm  
I think the Tooway comes with just one IP address.

Presumably you can successfully connect one PC direct to the Tooway modem.

If you have a router, the WAN port can be connected to the Tooway modem.  The LAN ports of the router (in your case, all via wireless) can go to many IP devices in your local private address space LAN.

Try this arrangement and see if you can connect several PCs via wireless.

Unfortunately your router does not have additional wired LAN ports.  Some wireless routers have, for example, four LAN ethernet ports as well as wireless LAN antenna.

A switch is not a router and can only distribute IP addresses are already available from a router type device, such as a Hughes HX or iDirect type satellite modem.

Can you abandon the switch ?

Have you got another router, with some ethernet sockets on the LAN side, that you could put between the Tooway modem and the switch?.  Then connect your WG102 wireless only router to the switch perhaps ?

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 8:06am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 11:47pm  
Quote:
Hello,

I am new at tooway and very pleased.
Right now nevertheless a little embarrassed about the configuration of a netgear router, which is connected to a satelittemoden via an ethernet switch.
IP and DNS is set to dynamic, but I just don't get this thing working. Would anybody know how to configure a netgear router "wg102" to a tooway satelitte modem?

Regards AndreasN.

A setup using the router (wifi disabled) as DHCP server and access point (DHCP disabled) for WIFI access.
You can connect computers also direct to the LAN ports of the router.

An access (DHCP enabled) point direct connected to a Tooway satellite modem.

Dont use a switch, this will not work because the Tooway modem provide only 1 IP (Basic service).

If you buy a new router I dont think you need the access point anymore because they all have wifi already build-in.

IP Logged

andreasn
★★

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:15pm  
Hello Eric, hello Molino,

thank you very much for your detailed advise. I took only a few minutes to get the router online.

regards AndreasN.

IP Logged

Pages: 1