Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

VoIP QoS Profile

(Read 6945 times)
mrninni
★★

Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:54am  
Hi all,

My customer asked me to give high priority for the VoIP traffic. I'd like to create a QoS configuration in order to met the customer request. There are any rules or advices in order to make a good configuration?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:57pm  
Rule 1: attend GQoS training course from iDirect
Rule 2: don't touch GQoS configuration on iDirect platform until you have completed Rule 1.
Rule 3: Re-Read Rule 2!!!!!!

OK, trying to be funny......honestly, be careful when building your QoS tree, if you are using priority you need to be very careful, the priority P1, P2 P3 options etc are absolutes, if you miss-configure or do not set limits etc you can completely starve other remotes, if you are not sure, then it can be a bad learning curve Smiley
You can use the cost based QoS options to ensure you don't completely hang remotes out with no traffic, but still this needs some thought.

As for voice, it depends on the application used?  are we talking purely VoIP?  are you actually taking voice from another source, GSM perhaps? and feeding it into the iDirect network via convertors?  the ability to prioritize can be as simple as prioritizing the traffic based on source IP, and protocol perhaps.  if you are using VoIp, remember to also prioritize the signalling, call setup etc.  you should also look at the return carrier set up, are you using a small block return channel,do you have segmentation (SAR) on the return channel, what other traffic is used, how many VoIP calls will be concurrent?  Is the client going to use VoIP all day, or is it one or two calls that just need to be prioritized, there are a lot of things to look at to ensure you prioritize the channel efficiently.

I will say, try to keep the rules as simple as possible.

IP Logged

Anton
★★

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 8:37pm  
I would recommend to use cost-based prioritization for the VoIP traffic - it works very well, however risk is significantly lower comparing to Priority Queue.

Please also mention what is your release version.

The rich man is not the one who has, but the one who does not need.

IP Logged

mrninni
★★

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 4:42pm  
Can I assign a low cost (like 0.1) at UDP traffic and a medium cost (like 0.5) at the other traffic?

If I know the IP address of the VOIP server used by the customer, is the faster solution the assignment a low cost (like 0.1) at all communication from/to this IP address?

thanks

IP Logged

Scout
★★★

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 8:48pm  
you can give UDP (or source IP from VoIP server) a cost of 0.1 and other traffic a 0.5 cost, this will certainly prioritize the VoIP traffic.
you are basically assigning a weight to the traffic, so if you only have these two you are giving the weighted of preference a 5:1 ratio.  If there is full demand from VoIP and other traffic VoIP will get 5x the bandwidth.

If you weight it 0.25 vs 0.5 VoIP will get double etc.

The question on which version you are on is pertinent, the behavior of certain aspects of QoS varies between versions and also the capabilities varies between versions. 

Also, do you have specific CIR values set up, by remote? by application?  this is something that can also help significantly in optimizing the prioritization of traffic.

IP Logged

mrninni
★★

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 5:32pm  
My iDirect version is iDX 2.0.0.3 - 10.0.0.3
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2011 at 1:38pm by mrninni »  

IP Logged

mrninni
★★

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 7:39am  
Good Morning,

Can anyone kindly explain me the difference between the Priority of an Application set in the Group View and the priority of an Application set in the Profile View within the Network's Group QoS tab?

The iBuilder User guide say that:

[...] The Group View shows the Group QoS Hierarchy and the properties associated with each group in the tree. [...]

[...] The Profile View shows all Service Profiles defined for each Bandwidth Group, and all Applications defined for each Service Profile. It also shows the properties of each Application and how those properties are currently assigned to remotes. [...]

I cannot understand if I have to set the same Priority for each Applications in both Group View and Profile views.

IP Logged

Pages: 1