Logo

Satellite Internet Forum.
Please note that this forum is now READ ONLY and closed for login and changes
The new forum is here Space and Satellite Communications forum

Welcome, Guest.
Welcome to this satellite broadband discussion forum.  Wherever you are and whatever your problem we are here to help each other. Connecting to the internet via satellite is not always easy but is critically important to those in remote places or with poor terrestrial infrastructure.  Both service providers and customers are encouraged to contribute.  Read the Forum rules.
      Satellite internet forum          

need help: Combining and Converting L/IF bands

(Read 3310 times)
MCI
Ex Member

Aug 24th, 2011 at 1:32am  
Hello Forum;

I need help and guidance please.

I a teting an IP SNG system on two different satellites using two different uplink systems.

The IP SNG system hub carrier has a modulator with an L band output
The first Test:
-Using a flyaway system; with an Encoder/modulator with an L band output. I will require to combine both modulators (the hub carrier modulator and the flyway modulator) L band outputs to feed the flyway Upconverter with a balanced L band input.

I plan to use R&K PD610-0S combiner
http://www.rk-microwave.com/products/PD.php

Is this a good enough a product?

The second Test:
-Using a 3.8M fixed uplink station. The station modulator has an IF band output that feeds an IF input upconverter. To combine the Hub carrier modulator (which has an L band output) I will need to;
1- convert the hub carrier modulator from L to IF band.
2- Combine both the station modulator IF output and the converted hub carrier modulator (from L to IF band) into a balanced IF stream to feed the station upconverter.

My question;
-is there a product that perform the L-IF conversion as well as perform the two IF signals combining? or do I have to use to different products? If so can you recommend which one(s)?

Many thanks for your help here.  
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2011 at 7:39pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Luchsinger
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 3:46pm  
L-Band is an IF frequency (in the satellite world).  If I am right in presuming you meant (VHF) 70 or 140Mhz then there is a bunch of those converters.

I have seen people connect the TX of their L-Band modems to their upconverters which would output the VHF 70/140Mhz frequencies.  And vice versa on the down side.

In regards to the combination with the previously mentioned conversion; I am not aware of any devices that do that, sorry.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2011 at 7:39pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Eric Johnston

Personal text from Profile,
Options, Top line

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 7:19pm  
In the case of test 1 above...

Regarding two modulators simultaneously connected you need to be aware that this will cause really bad intermodulation interferences to other services if the BUC is not backed off a long way, like -3 dB or more.  BUCs are normally operated with one carrier near maximum output level.   It you put two carriers through you need a BUC rated at least four times as powerful as one carrier.  e.g. Two 20W carriers through a 100W BUC, instead of one 20W carrier thtrough a 25W BUC.  Even then you must have a spectrum analyser coupled from the waveguide output to the feed to measure the intermod levels, plot them and get then approved by the satellite operator.

In the case of test 2 above...

The same applies, regarding intermodulation, if the output of two upconverters are merged before feeding an HPA.

Best regards, Eric.

IP Logged