Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Has anyone switched suppliers?

(Read 4297 times)
martyn94
★★

May 8th, 2012 at 5:09pm  
I have tooway service from a UK supplier which requires a 12 month contract (renewable). I bought the kit outright. I am away from home about 4 months each year, and would ideally like to suspend the service for that period. I find that Nordnet (my former supplier on Astra) now offers tooway without a time commitment if they do not lend you the kit, and with some not unattractive bells and whistles in the way of bundled phone calls. I imagine that I would need to pay a setup charge if I resiled and then reconnected, but I would still save money, especially if I moved to one of the the higher-volume packages - which I would like but am reluctant to buy if I have to pay for it year-round.

The Nordnet website does not provide for the possibility that you already have the kit, but I imagine that they could get their heads round it if I approached them once my initial 12 months is up with my current supplier. But before I do so (their call centre is or was pretty desperate, and chargeable at fancy prices), has anyone here migrated between suppliers, or researched whether and how it can be done?

IP Logged

fduvall
★★

Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:53pm  
I switched from skydsl, to a local Tooway reseller in Spain. The local supplier contacted Skylogic (I think) to see if the modem could be released (i think this is similar to a mobile phone being unlocked). They needed the MAC address and then made the switch.

fduvall

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:58pm  
Quote:
I have tooway service from a UK supplier which requires a 12 month contract (renewable). I bought the kit outright. I am away from home about 4 months each year, and would ideally like to suspend the service for that period. I find that Nordnet (my former supplier on Astra) now offers tooway without a time commitment if they do not lend you the kit, and with some not unattractive bells and whistles in the way of bundled phone calls. I imagine that I would need to pay a setup charge if I resiled and then reconnected, but I would still save money, especially if I moved to one of the the higher-volume packages - which I would like but am reluctant to buy if I have to pay for it year-round.

The Nordnet website does not provide for the possibility that you already have the kit, but I imagine that they could get their heads round it if I approached them once my initial 12 months is up with my current supplier. But before I do so (their call centre is or was pretty desperate, and chargeable at fancy prices), has anyone here migrated between suppliers, or researched whether and how it can be done?

You existing provider has to release your MAC address before you can sign-up with another provider.

Your subscription (Volume and Speed) will stay the same because this is provided by Skylogic and not by individual providers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1