Advertisment: Broadband via satellite
Advertisment: Worldwide satellite services from Ground Control Company

www.satsig.net

Satellite Internet Forum.

Welcome, Guest.        Forum rules.
      Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Dynamic DNS via tooway ? Help advice please..

(Read 16521 times)
Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:25pm  
Posted by admin, as requested in an email:

But my question is: I have clients with remotely monitored PV and/or thermal RE systems that I build.
Sometimes, but more and more often, I sell them a sat2way (tooway in France) install, because many of them are either off-grid or far away from towns, and have poor ADSL speed and bad reliability due to the wires ripping off the poles when trees fall under snow load.

Now what does that mean for the remote monitoring, that uses dynamic DNS redirection (via no-ip, for example)? It stops.
It seems that my LAN/Wifi router behind the tooway modem, that replaces the usual DSL box, perfectly signs in to the no-ip server, and registers the tooway IP address, but when I call it from my remote monitoring console, I don't get a reply.
Tooway tech support says I need to sell the customer a Pro account. There is nothing like a 8Gb account that has a comparable price to the standard 8Gb account, and I get a fixed (public) IP adddress that I don't actually need.

Yesterday, the boss of sat2way France told me by email that I *could* use dyndns, but today, sent me a order form for the various Pro accounts, that I can't put on my client's bill "just" for monitoring and remote control, which is actually a feature that helps me avoid unnecessary travel to the site.

Technically speaking, while tooway got my client a better Internet speed, it is a regression for my part of the job.

Will I need to "bury" an old laptop on the site that runs LogMeIn now?
Is there any better solution?

Best regards

Admin ref: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:49
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 9:30am by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

gypaete09
★★

Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2012 at 8:48pm  
Thanks to sysadmin for posting my question while I had a login problem Smiley

I can add that there also might be a possibility using VNC and an old computer on site, but any such solution will consume electricity that some PV sites just can't waste.

If anyone succeeded in using host redirections like dyndns or no-ip via a tooway link, please let me know.

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 9:26am by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 2:50pm  

"monitoring and remote control, which is actually a feature that helps me avoid unnecessary travel to the site."
--> Call Sat2way support first, they can monitor the system, it can save you a trip !

If you don't want to upgrade to a Tooway Pro subscription (public IP) Logmein or VNC will be your only simple & solid solution, ask for a 220V connection from the house nearby.

We advise you to use a much shorter pole, a long one makes the install very unstable and it is better not to fix the pole to the caravan, if the caravan moves because of wind or a person moves inside the caravan, the dish will move also.

Below a few examples of a more solid solution.

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 4:44pm by europe-satellite.com »  

IP Logged

Admin1
YaBB Admin
★★★★★

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:28pm  
Is there any chance that the PV monitoring electronics could initiate an email every day with the relevant site id,  telemetry and status data included in the email ?

Alternatively could it send a URL request with complex query string parameters contining the required data. e.g.
h t  tp://w w w.satsig.net/cgi-bin/pv-report.pl?site=1234;telemetry=ATVuJW1D3BBOPJRR6778Hy7wms
67;volts=12;amps=3

Best regards, Eric.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:20pm by Admin1 »  
IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 7:51pm  
Quote:
Posted by admin, as requested in an email:

But my question is: I have clients with remotely monitored PV and/or thermal RE systems that I build.

Maybe this helps you to solve your remote monitor problem.
https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/applications/solarpv

Build a home electricity monitoring system.
This guide details how to build a home electricity energy monitoring system that logs electricity consumption and room temperature data to the web for visualization and outputs the data to a living-room display. The display also gets the current time back from the internet.

https://openenergymonitor.org/emon/emonbase
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2015 at 5:21pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

toowayinternet
★★

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 7:35pm  
With consumer Tooway its not possible to do a dns resolving with dyndns or other registrars.

Logmein and teamviewer and alike will work but needs a host Pc or equivalent on-site.

Or make use of a VPN client router witch builds a VPN to your own vpn server for monitoring your systems.

Or subscribe to a Pro account, the easy way to get  a reachable IP, but at i higher price.

greetings,

Ricardo

IP Logged

Frava
★★

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:42am  
Someone told me that NordNet (an other Tooway in France) gives a public and dynamic IP for their consumer Tooway.

I will investigate it Wink

IP Logged

Frava
★★

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 4:49pm  
Actually NordNet's consumer Tooway have public (dynamic) IPs Cheesy

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:12pm  
Technically Tooway gives an dynamic PUBLIC IP for each customer.

You can use no-ip to know your public IP.

But is just for knowing it, because you can't use it Sad

The problem is Tooway doesn't allow to access to the public IP in any ports. All ports are intentionally closed and non forwarded.

The solutions is "easy", but a cheap tp-link router, HACK the router with dd-wrt (for allowing pptp-client) and now you could create a VPN.

Buy a cheap VPN server with port redirection, and you are ready.

I have some customers with tooway and retails systems, and the POS needs to be accessed for pull ofo the information. I created a VPN between the location and the main office, and now the POS are in the "same" network. 
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:42am by Admin1 »  

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

europe-satellite.com
★★★

London UK
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:16am  
Avanti Hylas offers public IP on all subscriptions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1