Home            Login            Register          
Pages: 1

Avonline Broadband Tooway happy customer

(Read 8328 times)
Munger
★★★

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:47pm  
Thought I would say a big thankyou to the team at Avonline Broadband. They are a very helpful bunch.

I've had a number of long standing issues with my ADSL home service. I was getting 2.1mb down and .3mb up. I had a number of line related issues where ADSL would drop when the phone rang. I don't have BT Infinity yet.

To get around the above I have been using a MIFI modem over 3g but it was proving very expensive and just as unstable as ADSL...

I've been pondering Tooway for 6 months or so and finally went for the top unlimited package last week. 7 day turn around from ordering. The installation took 1.5 hours in total. I instantly had 20mb down and 6mb up and so far so good.

I was concerned about the latency issues and this is what held me back for 6 months but I can report that the service I have purchased is actually very usable. My kids are streaming youtube now, we have catchup TV available and i've done 2gb of computer updates just like that.

I am a remote worker and can report that a remote VPN to my office does work and I can even run an RDP session to my office PC. There is a lag but its no worse than what I had over ADSL.

A VERY happy bunny indeed and I can definately recommend this option to people that have slow ADSL.

I also have some discount vouchers from Avonline if someone wants to sign up and get Ģ25 off Smiley

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:35am  
Hello my friend. I read your post and is a copy of my feels. I moved about 200 meters away my old flat to a new flat, very very nice, and ask for moving my ADSL on april 24. After one month waiting I get the news about no phone-wire in THIS street, and I need to find about 25 customers in this street ot ask for the telephone service and the company will install the wires Sad.
One month without working, I get a Tooway service, and in one afternoon I GET the installation and now, one week later I am very very happy. I don't have words..... I got the unlimited transfer plan, and I will pay about 95 € (120 US$) /month
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2013 at 2:44pm by Admin1 »  

...   ...
WWW | MSN | Skype/VoIP | ICQ | YIM  
IP Logged

Lee Phillips
★★

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 9:39am  
I can only reiterate what the OP said.  I have had Avonline for 3 weeks now.  Very happy with both the service and installation.

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 2:44pm  
If Im being picky I would say that I could have done a better job of installing the bracket on the wall. the bracket is not level and some of the holes they drilled are not deep enough for the rawl plugs to go in deep so the brackets whilst tight are not totally flush on the wall.

It all looks solid though and it it does blow down I guess Avonline will have to come back out and fix it.

Ive also noted that the dish and mount supplied are not new...

IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 9:09pm  
And guess what...

My service is offline. My viasat modem page is showing that my modem is scanning...

Sad

Update:-

Nothing appeared to be happening so I rebooted the modem and it came back up OK. Dont know what that was all about.

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 11:25pm  
I had the same problem today. My modem went offline, and my Antenna is very good, but I try to moved it, but I think that it didnīt move and I was loosing my time.... After, I get again the signal in the same position.

...   ...
IP Logged

Munger
★★★

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 7:07pm  
Sooo... Im not quiet as happy as I was the other day.

I spoke to Avonline Broadband regarding my outage last night. There was no system wide issues so it was local to me. The chap on the phone was helpful and suggested I tweak the dish a bit to try and get the RX SNR close to or over 12db.

This afternoon I got the ladders out and went up to inspect the dish to see what was what... I paid for it all to be installed by Avonline and I can safely say I should have done it myself. Two of the mounts are not fixed to my wall correctly. Each mount has two bolts and one of the bolts on each side is turning freely in the hole meaning that the supporting brackets are not really that tight. I reckon a strong wind will move the dish without too much trouble.

I then moved on to the dish mounts to find that some of the bolts were loose as well... BASIC STUFF!!!

I realigned the dish using an iPad up the ladder to control the modem and watch the RX SNR figures and was able to get them over 12db without spending much time at all.

Finally I've locked down all the nuts so the dish is as secure as its gonna be until the two mounts are looked at.

I have contacted Avonline and have sent over some pictures of the mounts and am waiting for feedback.

Now that the dish is aligned better the speed and responsiveness is much better. When downloading Im seeing a constant flow of data now.

The moral of the story is to check the installation yourself.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 10:38pm by Admin1 »  

IP Logged

Hipolito Gonzalez
★★★

Spain
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 4:36pm  
Yes my friend. We can do it. I installed the antenna by myself, nd I will fix it again n times forever if I need.
Now, I don't want to adjust it anymore, its close to 12 dB and -27 up. Is good for me.

PD: You antenna is very nice installed and you have a double tube against the wall. It is good.

...   ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1